'96 Cherokee Sport parking brake question... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > '96 Cherokee Sport parking brake question...

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 08-15-2002, 11:47 AM   #1
White-Knight

'96 Cherokee Sport parking brake question...

Hello all,
I've got a quick question. For whatever reason, the parking brake on my '96 Cherokee Sport is having problems with the indicator light. Sometimes when I engage the parking brake, the light will go on (the 'Brake' light on the dash console) and sometimes it will not. It follows no set pattern. I know that the parking brake works because I can hear it engage if I have the engine off and the door open and I can hear it disengage as well. Today, I took apart the dash and checked the bulb and all is fine there. Any ideas? Can there be some sort of intermittent shorted wire somewhere? If so, any ideas where to look? Thanks in advance.

White-Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2002, 07:26 AM   #2
williak

If the parking brake wire is "shorting out", your light would come on intermittantly while the brake is off. Check your switch at the brake handle to make shure the contacts close and the electrical connections to it. A bad switch or bad connection will give you an intermittant light with the brake on.
williak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2002, 09:22 AM   #3
White-Knight

Well, the light only comes on sometimes while the brake is engaged - never when it's off, so perhaps it's the switch at the brake end then? Thanks for the help. Is there any easy way to get into there (the parking brake housing), or do I have to dismantle the whole center console?
White-Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-17-2002, 08:59 AM   #4
williak

Sorry to say it, but yes. But while you are there you can check every thing elese out, then you won't have to do it again soon.
williak is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.