96, Cherokee sport. cranks but wont start. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 96, Cherokee sport. cranks but wont start.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 08-09-2014, 02:10 PM   #1
wilding592
1996 TJ Wrangler 

96, Cherokee sport. cranks but wont start.

simply put, when the key is turned the girl will crank but just wont start. iv got power, i can hear the fuel pump starting, iv replaced the ignition coil and the crank position sensor. and i still dont get a spark, and last iv hooked up a coder and it keeps saying no codes available.

wilding592 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-09-2014, 02:49 PM   #2
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Have you checked the 30a mini fuse in the PDC? blowing fuses and can't figure out why
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-11-2014, 06:37 PM   #3
wilding592
1996 TJ Wrangler 

I'v tested all the fuses and they seem to be fine.
Unread 08-11-2014, 07:17 PM   #4
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

At the risk of being redundant but just to be sure , you've verified or changed out this 30 amp fuse?
1996xj-pdc-30a-mini.jpg  
Unread 08-13-2014, 08:03 PM   #5
wilding592
1996 TJ Wrangler 

it was a good thing you were insistent because i managed to over look those when i tested the fuses, and yest the 30 was blown, i just got done with it and i replaced it twice and it kept popping, any ideas?
Unread 08-13-2014, 08:41 PM   #6
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

That fuse supplies power to the coil - as well as the O2 sensors. O2 sensors often short out at end of life. It takes a while for a bad O2 sensor to generate a CEL. A good rule of thumb is to replace them every 60k miles.

I would unplug both O2 sensors and replace the fuse then see if she'll run like that. If so it's a pretty good indication of a bad sensor, and if that's the case, you could plug them back in one at a time to see which is shorted or just replace both and be good to go for another 60k.
Unread 08-14-2014, 02:37 AM   #7
JeepinInJackson
1989 XJ Cherokee 

I like Chris' idea of unplugging o2 sensors to test it out before buying new ones. Also check your camshaft positioning sensor as seeing how they give ppl a lot of grief in the xjs so I've heard. By the way just because fuel pump is making noise doesn't mean it's putting out proper fuel pressure so I recommend borrowing a fuel pressure gauge if you don't have one and hooking it up to see what it says. Seen a thread a guy posted yesterday or something where his wouldn't crank and his pump wasn't that old and it was making noise but when he replaced it problem was fixed as well as he said it felt more powerful, hope this helps!
JeepinInJackson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 08:14 PM   #8
wilding592
1996 TJ Wrangler 

there is no camshaft sensor. and i unplugged the o2 sensors and it started and ran for about 3 seconds then died while trying to give it gas, then i tried to start it and it keeps popping fuses
Unread 08-18-2014, 08:33 PM   #9
lzugl

Mine did this to me a while back on my 90 cherokee.. If its cranking and not starting that should tell you your starter is fine. try to jump it, if it still just cranks that means you're not getting enough spark. Check your plugs along with your cap n rotor.

Mine was cap n rotor. i changed that out and it fired right up..
lzugl is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-18-2014, 09:23 PM   #10
chris87xj

1987 XJ Cherokee 

Something fed by that fuse is shorted out.
Here's what I'm thinking it feeds.
96xj-coil-circuit-30a-mini-fuse.gif  
Unread 08-20-2014, 11:14 AM   #11
1stockjeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Try unplugging the coil and crank it for a bit, the fuse also feeds that so it could be the issue, obviously it won't start tho lol. Pull fuel
Pump relay to prevent fouling plugs and washing cylinders
1stockjeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-25-2014, 01:49 AM   #12
wilding592
1996 TJ Wrangler 

sorry about taking so long to reply iv been out of town for work, finally I fixed my ol jeep. The problem was the distributor cap, once I replaced that everything went fine! thank you everyone!
Unread 10-26-2014, 04:56 PM   #13
wilding592
1996 TJ Wrangler 

Im back guys... so i had the same problem again this week, [crank but no start and keeps popping that lil 30a fuse, and im really stumped with what it could be, so far iv replaced the the plugs, cap n rotor and the ignition coil and nothings helped. any advise?
Unread 10-27-2014, 01:28 AM   #14
BagusJeep
Web Wheeler

1981 CJ7 

It was not your distributor cap. That was just a coincidence.

if you look at the diagram that circuit goes to the coil, o2 sensors and the back of the generator. Have you checked the wire going out to the generator? Have you tried unplugging it and has this got any effect on the fuses blowing?

1981 CJ7 258ci - Bagusjeep
1984 CJ7 258ci - Puthijeep
1981 J20 258ci - Gladys
1995 Cherokee 4.0 - CHEROKEE
BagusJeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #15
wilding592
1996 TJ Wrangler 

i unplugged the genny and the fuse is still popping

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.