'96 Cherokee security system? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > '96 Cherokee security system?

Great prices on seating!--Oconee Off-RoadTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGTJ, YJ & LJ Drop Down Tail Gate Conversion Kit

Unread 08-15-2002, 11:55 AM   #1
White-Knight

'96 Cherokee security system?

Hello again everyone,
I've got one more question here. I drive a 1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport that I bought used about a week ago. Everything works great on it except for a couple of minor things (had to replace the lift gate gas cylinders, had to tighten a few screws, etc. - nothing major at all). Anyway, I was poking around today (trying to fix the parking brake indicator light - see my other post) and noticed that there is a red LED indicator to the right of my shifter - this is something that I've never seen or heard about on any Jeep Cherokee. Also, I noticed something under the dash by the fusebox that says "Vibration and Motion Sensor" and it has a little red LED on it and a knob labeled "sensitivity". Furthermore, I also noticed that there is a little wired switch that is in the parking brake housing (the center console).

Now, to put all this together, nothing I do will get either of these red LED's to come on - whether the engine is running or not, the switch in the parking brake housing is on or not, etc. So I'm wondering - could this be a security system? If so, perhaps whoever owned it took part of it out before selling or something? It appears to be a professional job (except for the weird toggle switch in the parking brake housing - it's literally 'in' there, I had to fish it out with pliers). Any ideas?

White-Knight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2002, 12:40 PM   #2
CruzNlife1

turn the toggle switch to off, and try and start the jeep haha, i'll bet anything its nothing more than a homeade kill switch.... as for the led, and the shock sensor you DEFINITLY have an alarm system.... i'd pull it out especially if you have power locks, cause the previous owner most probably still has the remote, and if the jeep has remote start than he can walk up, open your doors, start your jeep, and be outta there

1996 Ranger Supercab....

1991 Mustang LX....

VERY SOON TO BE A BRAND NEW TJ OWNER, TRYING TO LEARN AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE RIGHT NOW !!
CruzNlife1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2002, 07:46 PM   #3
White-Knight

Yeah, I was figuring that it was an alarm system - though I'm still trying to figure out how to arm it. It seems like there should be some way besides the remote. As for the person who put it in, from what I know (i.e., from the repair bills and stuff that were left in the glovebox with the manual), he lives several states away, so I'm not worried about it being stolen or anything. Thanks for your help.
Unread 08-15-2002, 11:37 PM   #4
EricsXJ
The Post man

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Without the remotes and knowing how or what was customized (like the toggle switch), it might be easier to remove it and install a totally new security system - if you want one.

About a year ago, the wife and I bought a 98 Suzuki Esteem as a second car (and that way I can have the jeep all to myself ) Anyways, the Suzuki has a Black Widow alarm that the previous owner had in it. It works and has a start disable, but I am hesitant to use it very much. There is only one remote and I don't know where I'd get another one. I tried checking the web and found http://www.blackwidowsecurity.com/ but I don't even know what model alarm it is. I'm afraid the wife will arm it someday and then the remote will die and she won't be able to disarm it, leaving her stranded. We lent the car to my sister for a week and didn't give her the remote. We had a very wet snowstorm one day and my sister accidentally left the headlights on. The battery died and somehow it armed the alarm. What a pain that was for her - snowstorm, dead battery, alarm trying to go off... I don't know how or why the alarm could have armed itself without the remote???

On the jeep I have a Viper and I think it is a much higher quality than the Black Widow. Plus I know how it works and what its supposed to do If anyone has any experience with the Black Widow one, I'd apreciate any help or links to websites you may know of.

So back to my original point, if you don't know what its supposed to do, and without the proper remotes, I think its best not to mess with it. Or maybe if you contacted the guy he could tell you whats up with it.

EricsXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2002, 09:20 AM   #5
White-Knight

Hey, thanks for the advice Eric. Personally, I could care less about a security system - I live in a pretty slower paced area and I'm not worried about anyone stealing or messing with my Jeep. However, I'm a little hesitant to remove it because the cables and wires for it are spliced in and shrinkwrapped with all of the others around the fusebox (which means I'd have to cut through all that and seperate everything out). I have no idea what brand it is, though I'm gonna go have another look at it today. And I think I'll try to contact the previous owner sometime here too. Thanks again for the help.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.