96 Cherokee (SE) Power Steering Fluid - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 96 Cherokee (SE) Power Steering Fluid

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 09-30-2013, 11:47 AM   #1
Doons
1996 XJ Cherokee 

96 Cherokee (SE) Power Steering Fluid

After checking records discovered 11K miles have elapsed since power steering fluid changed. Went to the dealership to purchase "Power Steering Fluid" and was told that the "Automatic Transmission Fluid" for this vehicle is the same stuff as the power steering fluid. So I bought a quart of ATF.
Is this information from the Chrylser parts department true?
If I replace my power steering system fluid with automatic transmission fluid will there be ill effects on the pump and/or system operation? I'm a little leary.

Doons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 12:06 PM   #2
moggie99
1996 ZJ 

It is my understanding that Jeeps need proper power steering fluid, not ATF (which is different). That said, Chrysler usually use a unique ATF so may that IS actually OK.
moggie99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-30-2013, 12:42 PM   #3
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Ive been running ATF (Dexron III) in my steering system for a few years now. So far, no ill effects. My choice was because of reading other's experiences, and a want for less fluids to carry as spare.
Unread 10-01-2013, 08:43 AM   #4
Doons
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I've decided NOT to freshen my power steering system with the quart of ATF the parts department guy said was OK; and instead get the Mopar power steering fluid, (in the smaller size bottles), to do it. Glad I took the time to get another opinion, thanks for your input.

Older than my tongue but younger than my teeth.
Doons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-01-2013, 09:01 AM   #5
Azzy
Web Wheeler

1996 XJ Cherokee 

Some good info here on the subject: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...=497271&page=3

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.