96 Cherokee odd turn signal problem. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 96 Cherokee odd turn signal problem.

Save big with ExtremeTerrain.com's Top Spring Mods Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineJeep Restorations, Mild to Wild! CCOR

Unread 05-27-2012, 08:20 PM   #1
comanche17
1996 FSJ Cherokee 

96 Cherokee odd turn signal problem.

I just bought a 96 Cherokee and it has a weird problem. first off, the headlights wont turn on. so i checked it out and turns out i had power doing to the ground wire? so i grounded it and now the headlights work. so i fixed that problem but that's just the start.

when your in the truck and you turn on the left turn signal and look at the dash both right and left turn signal lights on the dash turn on. but when you get out of the truck and look only the left side marker is flashing but the turn signal underneath the headlight doesn't do anything. and the right side does nothing as it should.

when you turn on the right it does the same thing on the trucks dash but when you get out the right side marker works but the turn signal underneath the right headlight doesn't work. just like the left. the left does nothing like it should.

at night when you have the headlights on, when you try to turn on a turn signal the hazards come and and it blinks slow but then it speeds up really quick. the turn signal lights underneath the headlights don't come on ever.

im not sure what could be wrong? the rear lights are fine. except when you have the headlights on. the the hazards come on when you turn on a turn signal.

I think it might be the gauge cluster. the odometer is frozen solid and that's where both the lights come on at once.

Idk what do you guys think i should do or where should i start looking?

comanche17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #2
n5xl

Just a hunch but at a minimum, you've likely got a grounding problem at one or more of the outside turnsignals. Try removing the lenses and removing the bulbs at each corner and leaving the sockets hanging with no bulbs in them...my guess is you'll see the problem immediately as corrosion in the bulb socket. Turn on a turn signal and try putting a bulb in that side and see if it works. If its not flashing, start look at the ground wire for that light. IFix the turnsignals before you try tackling all the other stuff that might be wrong. Keep it simple and work on problems you can get to easily first. You just might get lucky and solve some of the other problems with correcting the turn signals.
n5xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2012, 04:20 PM   #3
comanche17
1996 FSJ Cherokee 

ok ill try that. hopefully that will fix it. if not the next step will be replacing the gauge cluster. thanks
Unread 06-01-2012, 01:10 PM   #4
comanche17
1996 FSJ Cherokee 

well i dont know what i did but everything works now. all i did was replace a blown bulb on the passenger rear tail light and everything is back to normal now.
thanks for the help.
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:27 AM   #5
comanche17
1996 FSJ Cherokee 

well everything was fixed. now everything is back to the way it was when i started. this has to be a wire problem right? it wouldnt be the gauge cluster would it?
Unread 07-12-2012, 05:02 PM   #6
comanche17
1996 FSJ Cherokee 

I finally fixed the problem. It was the wiring loom connector for the lights in the front. it was so badly corroded it practically crumbled in my hands. So i by passed it and now everything works great.

Tags
cherokee , gauge cluster , headlight , jeep , turnsignal

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.