96 Cherokee 4x4, replacing rear wheel bearings - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 96 Cherokee 4x4, replacing rear wheel bearings

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 06-21-2007, 01:34 PM   #1
md95
1996 XJ Cherokee 

96 Cherokee 4x4, replacing rear wheel bearings

My name is Matt, and this is my first post here! I just bought a 96 Classic with 220k on it, and it runs/drives really good. I need to replace the rear wheel bearings on it, as they howl/groan going down the road. They feel rough as you spin the hub, so i know they need replaced. I believe the rear axle is a Dana 35. My question is what is the best way to do these? I pretty much have all the special tools needed(hoist, pullers, shop press, ect). From what i've gathered, the bearings are pressed on? If there is a link to a how-to, or if someone can give me some info on the process, i'd greatly appreciate it! Thanks

md95 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2007, 02:22 PM   #2
severous01

they're not pressed on. they're pressed in. not really though...

all you gotta do is pull the axles, slide-hammer the bearings and seals out. that's it...

if the new bearings are loose, wrap the race with foil and then hammer them it.
Unread 06-21-2007, 03:34 PM   #3
md95
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the info. In order to remove the axles, do you have to remove the diff cover, then i assume there are C clips on each axle end going into the differential? Thanks again!
Unread 06-21-2007, 04:58 PM   #4
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by md95
Thanks for the info. In order to remove the axles, do you have to remove the diff cover, then i assume there are C clips on each axle end going into the differential? Thanks again!
Yes, pull the diff. cover and remove the c-clips to take out the axle shafts.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2007, 11:12 AM   #5
md95
1996 XJ Cherokee 

One more queston..Do you need to remove the backing plate to get the bearings out? Or can you remove the bearing seal, then the bearing using a slidehammer puller with the backing plate still on the axle housing? Also, what's the probability of the axle bearing surface being chewed/bad? I'd like to get this done all in one shot, without having to wait to order new parts..Thanks for the help guys!
Unread 06-22-2007, 11:17 AM   #6
88XJ_WI
1988 XJ Cherokee 

the backing plate does not need to come off. It would depend on how bad your bearing are if it's chewed up. I'd think it would need to be pretty like the axle shaft is moving around. I'm pretty sure that you can get some offset bearings for it if it is that bad.

96 Grand Cherokee 4.0 145,000 miles
88XJ_WI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.