'96 Cherokee 2-door 2WD - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > '96 Cherokee 2-door 2WD

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 11-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #1
LelandGray
2005 WK 

'96 Cherokee 2-door 2WD

I'm looking at a '96 Cherokee 2-door 2WD for sale for $500. The seller says it needs a head gasket. I don't much else yet, but I was wondering if I should keep looking at it or pass? My intentions would be to convert it to 4WD and use it as a winter/fun car.

I'm pretty mechanically inclined, I've done some pretty involved wrenching in the past so I'm not scared of either the head gasket or the 4WD conversion.

What else could be wrong or need to get fixed/replaced along with the head gasket?

Thanks in advance!

LelandGray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #2
Nick_Knipp
1986 MJ Comanche 

pass, keep looking for a 4x4 so u wont have to do all that work. heres a good example

1. Buy the cherokee for 500 and spend like 3k+ for 4x4 and repairs

or

2. keep looking for another decent jeep for cheaper
'12 MK Sport 2.4L AT rescue green
Nick_Knipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2010, 07:48 PM   #3
SantaClaws
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick_Knipp View Post
pass, keep looking for a 4x4 so u wont have to do all that work. heres a good example

1. Buy the cherokee for 500 and spend like 3k+ for 4x4 and repairs

or

2. keep looking for another decent jeep for cheaper
$3,000!!? really? If your doing your own work for the instal and take your time and look for the parts you can do a 4wd conversion for under $1,000. I did mine for $900 and that was with a $300 brand new dealer rear drive shaft and a $320 Florida Powertrain rebuilt Front shaft. So it could have been cheaper

If you think your up to the task then by all means gopher it!

Im doing a headgasket on my 95 right now...just cant find anyone that sells the damn headbolts! Not a single parts store carries or will order them. may have to dealer them if i cant find them online.

I can say both the headgasket and the 4wd conversion did not rank anywhere on the fun-o-meter lol but it sure was a damn good learning exp. Plus I know all my parts are in good working order under der!
Unread 11-02-2010, 07:51 PM   #4
Nick_Knipp
1986 MJ Comanche 

3k+ for 4x4 AND repairs
'12 MK Sport 2.4L AT rescue green
Nick_Knipp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2010, 08:02 AM   #5
lowicz96
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I say do it!! lol i love 2dr's and did the same thing, bought a $500 2dr 2wd that needed a clutch then bought a parts jeep for 300 that didnt run, another 300 for a 4x4 AX15 and bam i got a 4x4 plus alot of extra parts that ive been selling to make some money back.

Any cheap vehicle you buy will need repairs and if i had the choice of paying 3k for mine with all ive done to it or 3k for a slightly nicer STOCK jeep, id take mine any day of the week.

88' Cherokee Limited - RIP

Sold - 96' Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2 Door, AW4, NP242, Its the girlfriends now!!
lowicz96 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.