'96 4.0L XJ has mediocre braking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > '96 4.0L XJ has mediocre braking

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Rubicon express discounts from oconee off-roadRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 07-01-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
Svenlylethor
1996 XJ Cherokee 

'96 4.0L XJ has mediocre braking

So my XJ has about 221,000 miles and the brakes work but not very well. I feel like I have to brake really hard to get it to stop, especially when it's sudden. I used to have a Ford Ranger and an F-150 (both manual) and they had great braking plus whenever I borrow people's cars, I slam the breaks the first few times just because they work so much better than my jeep's.

I think the brakes are still in good condition and still have lots of wear left on them but my question is if there is anything to change the performance. Could I put in an upgrade master cylinder or something?

Unread 07-02-2010, 01:41 PM   #2
scott_jeep
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Well even with a perfectly working system XJ braking leaves much to be desired. My finance has a 2010 Ford and I do the same thing with the pedal, whenever I'm driving and that first stop comes everyone gets whiplash

But you're sure everything is in working order? Checked master cylinder, lines, calipers, rotors, pads, fluid, etc?

I just replaced the pads on my 96' and found that there was a small leak from the piston on one caliper. Replaced both, bleed it well and went on my way. My brakes feel a million times better now. I didn't even realize how bad they were before.

So first I'd check that there are no leaks or other problems and then if it still seems bad maybe upgrade the rear drums to discs?
scott_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 01:48 PM   #3
DirtyViking
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Most times the rear drums end up being quite bad, and the only way to really tell is to pull the drums off and inspect their wear surfaces and the brake pads themselves. If those aren't working, you're only stopping the vehicle with the front brakes, and of course that'll feel horrible.
[QUOTE=Rob99]You can't post a thread in GD and expect only responses that you like. People have opinions. If you don't want to hear opinions, go have a conversation with yourself in the mirror.[/QUOTE]
[QUOTE]After allegedly failing a sobriety test, Donald Duck was taken into custody.[/QUOTE]
[CENTER][I][B][SIZE="4"]Do evil every day. You may not change the world, but you'll have fun.[/SIZE][/B][/I][/CENTER]

Halmotors on the PS3 network
DirtyViking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-02-2010, 11:24 PM   #4
Svenlylethor
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott_jeep View Post
Well even with a perfectly working system XJ braking leaves much to be desired. My finance has a 2010 Ford and I do the same thing with the pedal, whenever I'm driving and that first stop comes everyone gets whiplash

But you're sure everything is in working order? Checked master cylinder, lines, calipers, rotors, pads, fluid, etc?

I just replaced the pads on my 96' and found that there was a small leak from the piston on one caliper. Replaced both, bleed it well and went on my way. My brakes feel a million times better now. I didn't even realize how bad they were before.

So first I'd check that there are no leaks or other problems and then if it still seems bad maybe upgrade the rear drums to discs?
My brake fluid is always where it should be plus the brake has never felt spongey before... so I don't think it's the fluid.

You can really upgrade the rear drums to discs? I'll have to look that one up. I think I've heard of people upgrading their XJs with the master cylinder from a WJ.

Tags
brakes , performance

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.