96 4.0 serpentine belt - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 96 4.0 serpentine belt

2014 Spartan Locker Special - While Supplies Last! Dana 3The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 07-09-2012, 10:26 AM   #1
noshine84
1996 XJ Cherokee 

96 4.0 serpentine belt

My belt started whining the other day. So I got to looking around and the belt is rubbing the timing pointer. I've search and it looks like my belt tensioner is in the wrong spot? All the pictures I've seen looks different than mine. Anybody ever seen a AC equipped 4.0 with the belt tensioner below the power steering pump and not by the compresser?

noshine84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 09:40 AM   #2
Tru2Chevy

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I know this is quite old, but I'm replying just so others will get the correct info if/when they come across this thread in a search.

The belt tensioner on the 96-01 4.0 XJs is the idler pulley below the power steering pump. Just loosen the bolt that holds that pulley and then turn the adjustment bolt to tighten / loosen the belt.

The 87-95 XJs used the power steering pump as the tensioner, so you have to loosen several bolts on the pump and then turn the adjustment bolt under the power steering reservoir to tighten / loosen the belt.

No XJs came with the spring loaded belt tensioner that many people are used to seeing.

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-25-2014, 10:13 AM   #3
00XJMikey
Broke XJ Lover

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy View Post
I know this is quite old, but I'm replying just so others will get the correct info if/when they come across this thread in a search.

The belt tensioner on the 96-01 4.0 XJs is the idler pulley below the power steering pump. Just loosen the bolt that holds that pulley and then turn the adjustment bolt to tighten / loosen the belt.

The 87-95 XJs used the power steering pump as the tensioner, so you have to loosen several bolts on the pump and then turn the adjustment bolt under the power steering reservoir to tighten / loosen the belt.

No XJs came with the spring loaded belt tensioner that many people are used to seeing.

- Justin
And now I can de-slop my belt. Thanks

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.