95 XJ Transmission problem, late shifts, replaced TPS & still problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 95 XJ Transmission problem, late shifts, replaced TPS & still problems

Save at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsECGS Labor Day Sale!!New DEAL OF THE WEEK at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 08-03-2010, 10:43 PM   #1
RidgeRunnersXJ
1995 XJ Cherokee 

95 XJ Transmission problem, late shifts, replaced TPS & still problems

Hey everyone,

first time post but longtime forum follower wishing I had the time & money to do a lot of the builds/mods here on the site, anyway my 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 4WD 4.0L 130,xxx miles, stock tires, stock axles, pretty much everything is stock. It seems that my transmission shift points are off (late) and the shifts are heavy/clunky/generally off, the jeep struggles to accelerate beyond 25 mph if the throttle is held constant and then again at 35 mph, it used to do 65-70 at 2100 rpm but now does 55 at 2100 rpm. It used to accelerate and shift up the gears with light constant throttle application but not anymore. Just replaced the TPS and still having problems, the transmission fluid levels are fine, color/smell is fine. While driving there are no grinding noises or gear whine. The problem used to be intermittent but is now becoming constant. Hoping to figure this out before having to take it to the dealership or aamco because a major problem might be curtains for the XJ

any comments/ideas/thoughts help,

thanks

RidgeRunnersXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-26-2010, 11:34 AM   #2
alexk243
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Try a transmission cleaner like Lucas. I know some people disagree but pulling the pan and cleaning the filter and fluid in the trans as well as the magnits in the pan worked well and my 184000 mile Cherokee shifts real smooth now.

We did however decide not to do it on my dads Yukon since we didnnot want to break up parts in the trans

Tags
cherokee , problem , tps , transmission , xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.