95 XJ no start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 95 XJ no start

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 09-23-2011, 08:39 AM   #1
Cedfelix
1995 XJ Cherokee 

95 XJ no start

I've poured over the forums now I'm a bit stuck.

Two days ago I the Jeep ('95 XJ 4lt 4WD 160k) was having trouble starting. It would start and crank over, then immediately die. After 3 rounds of this, the jeep started up and ran fine with no other problems for another 3 starts. Yesterday morning same issue as previous morning. I stop to grab food after about an hour of idling in traffic and the jeep will start and crank over, but will not keep running. The gauges look normal when starting.

Replaced the fuel filter, no change.
Replaced the fuel pump and made sure there was enough fuel in the tank, no change.
Swapped fuel pump relay for another, same type relay, no change.
No visible fuel leaks.
I don't have a fuel pressure gauge, but there is a good amount of fuel coming out when I press on the check valve.
When I turn the ignition on, the fuel pump runs for a half sec, then shuts off. If I jump the relay, the fuel pump runs for 3-5 secs.
I'm off to check the CPS with a volt meter now.

The battery terminals are super clean, also new cable terminal ends were just installed 2 weeks ago.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Cedfelix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 08:58 AM   #2
The_Blacksmith
1993 XJ Cherokee 

might not be a fuel delivery issue, could be weak spark.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/building-recovery-bumpers-pics-1184330/
The_Blacksmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 09:00 AM   #3
Cedfelix
1995 XJ Cherokee 

What would be the next step? Replace the spark plugs?
Unread 09-24-2011, 06:18 AM   #4
Cedfelix
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Fixed!

We found if you started the Jeep but didn't turn the key back, it would still run. We then replace the ignition switch and it runs like a champ.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.