95 XJ Engine does not get hot!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 95 XJ Engine does not get hot!!

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-27-2014, 08:18 PM   #1
MoparMech
1995 XJ Cherokee 

95 XJ Engine does not get hot!!

My 95 Xj will not warm up. Doesn't matter how hot it is outside or how long you drive it. The only time it would get hot is if it is above 80 with cardboard completely over the radiator. I replaced the heater control valve(was leaking), flushed the cooling system, replaced the t stat with an aftermarket stat and when that didn't work I put a mopar stat in, heat coming from air vents warms up in relation to the temp gauge and it never gets very hot. temp gauge never goes above 160, I bled the air out with a lisle funnel style coolant bleeder, My heater core is full with the heater hoses getting hot to the touch but not hot enough to make me let go. Mechanical fan does not roar without the cardboard in front of the rad. With the cardboard in front of the rad during 80 degree days the temp reaches 210 and stays there, and you can hear that mechanical fan roar. I am at a loss. haven't taken a temp gun to the stat housing yet but any suggestions would be well received.

MoparMech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2014, 09:51 PM   #2
chris87xj
Jeepaholic

1987 XJ Cherokee 

That's so amazing I think we need a second opinion. It's time to break out that temp gun and verify the dash guage.

"You can set my jeep on fire and roll it down a hill,
But I still wouldn't trade it for a Coupe DeVille."

JeepForum.com/IndyORV@Redbird-SRA
COTY 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
Better to hoard Jeep technical info than old newspapers and the neighbor's mail, I guess.......
ENTER your jeep in the September Cherokee Of The Month contest here!!
chris87xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2014, 07:28 AM   #3
AZ Jeff
Web Wheeler
2014 JK Wrangler 

I agree with Chris87XJ. The XJ cooling system is barely adequate to handle the job in a worst case condition. One that does not get hot would be a divine miracle. Get an infrared temperature gun and confirm temps by measuring the thermostat housing surface temp when the engine has been running for a while.
2014 JK -- the project is just starting!
AZ Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2014, 07:30 AM   #4
chris142
2002 TJ Wrangler 

ill 3rd the dash showing wrong.
chris142 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2014, 05:01 PM   #5
Carves
1998 XJ Cherokee 

X 4 on confirming actual temps,

... or maybe sell that cooling system on fleabay for a squillion dollars.

... a dodgy connection on the CTS in the t'stat housing can also result in lower temp displays.
Carves is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.