95 XJ 2WD - how capable offroad? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 95 XJ 2WD - how capable offroad?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread Yesterday, 08:48 PM   #1
Scott_B

95 XJ 2WD - how capable offroad?

The is my first post here, as I just purchased a 95 XJ 4 door, Manual trans, 4.0 with 170K mi. I have four other vehicles right now but this Jeep is going to be used as follows: I plan to drive it 2-4 times per week. I will drive it to work when it rains, instead of my lowered 2012 Boss 302 Mustang. I will use the XJ to tow my 21' Baja (2400# total) 2 blocks to the boat ramp. At certain times of the year, I will take it to the woods to go deer hunting here in North Florida.

Now to my question, this XJ is a 2 wheel drive with brand new Goodyear Wrangler 235/15's, when I take this off-road on dirt trails, occasionally more sugar sandy, and also occasionally somewhat muddy. How capable will this rig make it thru this type of terrain?

I plan to outfit this new to me XJ with a trailer hitch and I will attach some tow points on the truck. I will also be putting a gun rack in the back with a shovel and an ax, along with a loaded tool box.
Other mods will be coming but I'd love to hear some guys with experience with these rigs, help guide / advise me.

Thanks in advance for your comments!

Scott_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 09:27 PM   #2
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

A traction device in the rear axle will be mandatory. Lower diff gears would also be real nice like 4.1 for towing. Lowering the pressure in the tires will make sandy trail riding much easier.

Ron

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 07:26 AM   #3
Scott_B

Thanks for that advise, you confirmed my thoughts. Since the rig will see light off-road duty I'd like to put a locker that can be turned on and off. Since this is not a serious off-road vehicle, I want to make an economical decision that makes sense so I'll be doing the rear gears and the locker at the same time. Any suggestions on an economical locker solution? What manufacturer should I be leaning towards in your opinion?
Unread Today, 10:41 AM   #4
1stockjeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Get a winch just in case, keep good mud tires with a good locker and carry some tire chains just in case. A good tire with chains can do better than most 4x4
1stockjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 06:06 PM   #5
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

I do ALOT of driving on dirt, gravel, rocky, muddy and snowy roads. It's an 88 MJ with a D44 and LSD. I almost never put it in 4WD unless I'm in 6" of snow or it's super slippery muddy. My buddy has a Tacoma and pretty much feels like he has to put it in 4WD the second he goes on to a dirt road.
The rear of his truck is squirrely, even with a camper shell, mine is not, even without one.
Unread Today, 06:46 PM   #6
Scott_B

I didn't think about chains, that's an excellent addition to my list, Thanks! I took it out for it's first ride I the dirt tonight, I'm already in love with this old XJ, it drives really well and is very controlled while drifting! My son, CJ, is six and he was hollering "yahooooo" in the backseat, just loving it! I see Summit Racing has a PowerTrax No Slip Traction System. What the opinion on PowerTrax products?
Unread Today, 07:24 PM   #7
rjbruzan
2004 TJ Wrangler 

How about some dedicated rear trail tires along with the locker. If your trails are close some boogers or terra tires to make the most of the available traction.

Its like a fart in a windstorm
It smells good but thats about it

Registered Six Offender
Home of the Buzzin Half Dozen
rjbruzan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 07:41 PM   #8
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

The Goodyear Wrangler is a "jack of all trades, master of none" kind of a tire...
Adequate for dry pavement but not much else.
You'd likely spin them on a wet boat ramp.

And as for lockers, "one that can be turned off..." and "economical" are two concepts that don't go together.
Selectable lockers are the better part of a grand just for the basic parts.
I have a Power Trax Lock Right on my DD and have been happy with it so far (8+ months).

And if you don't get a winch, be sure to get tow points front and back and tie them in to the frame rail...
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.