95 vs 97 XJ - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 95 vs 97 XJ

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 11-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #1
mudpen
1995 XJ Cherokee 

95 vs 97 XJ

My 95 jeep got hit now the insurance co. wants to total it. They gave me a list of other jeeps for sale in the area but they are all autos, mine was a 5 speed. I've narrowed it down to either another 95 or an 97. both have lower miles on them than mine. but at the same time I know mine was kept up very well. So any thoughts on the different years and auto vs. stick ?

Thanks

mudpen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2012, 09:44 PM   #2
ltrail
1984 XJ Cherokee 

Its all preference really. If you really wanna stick it to them I guess check kbb or some appraisal site and see which is worth more?

I haven't owned anything automatic im years so no big deal there. Mileage is something to be considered, also have you looked at them? Maybe one has superior maintenance record?
Unread 11-20-2012, 07:40 AM   #3
Lumpy95
1995 XJ Cherokee 

I bought my stick 95 5 years ago. Really wanted a stick over an auto and it took months to find one. I think there aren't very many sticks left out there and some people really want them. So the value may be higher.

It's worth doing your own research when you are negotiating with the insurance company. Price guides usually assume that automatics are worth more but that often isn't the case. I had a Corolla wagon with a stick, totalled, other driver was at fault. Insurance company offered me $3K, for which price there were plenty of automatics and sedans, but zero stick shift wagons, all of which were priced around $5K.

They told me they were offering blue book value. I told them I didn't care what the book said, I was entitled to what it would cost to replace my stick shift station wagon, and sent them all my search results. They sent me a check for 5K and I spent it on another stick shift station wagon.

I like my stick Cherokee. I get 21-22 mpg, and I've just done my first brake job after 100K miles of ownership. I have to deal with a steep hill that is packed but not plowed in the winter and being able to put the jeep in low range and engine brake down at walking pace makes the difference in being able to drive it at all.
Lumpy95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
Weebur
1997 XJ Cherokee 

If you haven't made a decision yet I'd go with the '97 because it's OBDII and Jeep added some sound deadening material. The AW4 is a good trans when well maintained. See if you can get the maintenance records and/or a Carfax report.
Weebur is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
PhotoJared
1999 XJ Cherokee 

When my '93 was totalled I upgraded to a '99. They are much more comfortable and the interior is so much nicer. Not to mention its 6 years newer. I do notice a sight difference in power, it seems like the '93 had a little more.

I have ZERO regrets.
other stuff
PhotoJared is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2012, 10:06 AM   #6
MYSTICSVT
1997 XJ Cherokee 

IMO, a 97-99 is the way to go. The vastly improved interior is definitely worth it.
1997 XJ Sport - Rusty's 2 1/2" coil spacers, Rusty's clearance 4" fixed LCA's, Rancho 3" coils, 6" JY full leaf pack, JKS disco's, 33x12.50x15 Goodyear Wrangler Duratrac's on Ion Alloys, a Truetrac in the rear, and a Smittybilt XR8 to get me out of trouble
2000 WJ Laredo - 4.7 with Upcountry package. 245/75/16 Cooper St's
MYSTICSVT is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.