95 Jeep Cherokee Catalytic converter removal and possible CEL - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 95 Jeep Cherokee Catalytic converter removal and possible CEL

Savvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFOX IFP Shocks for 4" Lift TJ/LJ - Special!Jeep Gear & Install Packages!

Closed Thread
Unread 01-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
BlackStig

95 Jeep Cherokee Catalytic converter removal and possible CEL

Can I Hypothetically remove the cat on a 95 XJ with out having the CEL light come on?

If i do Hypothetically remove the cat and and O2 sensor How could Bypass it so the CEL does not come on?

Last edited by BlackStig; 01-10-2010 at 01:20 PM..
BlackStig is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2010, 12:27 PM   #2
lowicz96
1995 XJ Cherokee 

It illegal to remove the cat!!

But it wont throw a CEL. 95 only has 1 O2 senor and it before the cat. If you do remove it, it will backfire occasionally

88' Cherokee Limited - RIP

Sold - 96' Cherokee Sport 4x4, 2 Door, AW4, NP242, Its the girlfriends now!!
lowicz96 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2010, 12:40 PM   #3
Cherokee-at-16
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Hey im trying to replace my cat and does anyone know if you can take it out without removeing the rest of the exhaust system.......Right now im just driveing with the clamps off hopeing it will start to fall off(the cat that is)its rusted on i think
Cherokee-at-16 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #4
rustywrangler
Got my eye on you.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee-at-16 View Post
Hey im trying to replace my cat and does anyone know if you can take it out without removeing the rest of the exhaust system.......Right now im just driveing with the clamps off hopeing it will start to fall off(the cat that is)its rusted on i think
Sawzall or hack saw will work just fine. Then just use some clamps and adapters and you are set. IF you are welding it in, alot of time it is better to replace the muffler as well due to rust.

Congenital Heart Disease is a reality for me, BOTH of my children have it. Please read up and become aware for future generations

Lydia Ann-Acquired 08/05/05 Open Heart surgery 08/10/05
Jacob Patrick-Acquired 01/17/08 Open Heart surgery 02/15/08
rustywrangler is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2010, 02:11 PM   #5
Cherokee-at-16
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustywrangler View Post
Sawzall or hack saw will work just fine. Then just use some clamps and adapters and you are set. IF you are welding it in, alot of time it is better to replace the muffler as well due to rust.
What adapters???
Cherokee-at-16 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2010, 02:37 PM   #6
talentjeep
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackStig View Post
Can I Hypothetically remove the cat on a 95 XJ with out having the CEL light come on?

If i do Hypothetically remove the cat and and O2 sensor How could Bypass it so the CEL does not come on?
talking about cat removal can get you banned.

You need one to make air pressure right for O2 sensor anyway and you need your O2 to help your computer make the rest of the correct emissions decisions. It's not a 1965 mustang it's a Jeep and it needs it's eyes and ears!
Unread 01-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #7
Solidsyko
1995 XJ Cherokee 

idk...I had my cat blow out into my muffler, went about 6 months before I could afford a new cat. During that time my highway mileage was still around 20, but my around town went down to 15ish. New cat in and my city driving is back to 17ish. Maybe it's coincidence...but the cat seemed to effect how the engine ran at least a little around town.
Solidsyko is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2010, 06:05 PM   #8
leftlanetruckin
XJ on 37's

1998 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cherokee-at-16 View Post
What adapters???
There are adapters to go from one size of tubing to another. If your exhaust is 2.5", and the cat is 2.25", there are adapters to sleeve it down making it easier to install aftermarket cats etc.

Martin
2000 4.7 4WD WJ with a rebuilt motor.
4.3/700r4/new frame buildup (YJ)....
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f12/swap-offically-underway-324622/

Years to gain the hands on experience, and offer it freely.
Minutes to gain the knowledge from the internet, and quote it just as freely.
Choose wisely!
leftlanetruckin is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2010, 07:11 AM   #9
WrenchedXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Pre-96, at least here in NC is safety inspection only, but that cat converter, muffler, all that stuff is a visual inspection. Plus on non-OBD-II vehicles, there is no O2 sensor after the cats, only before, so no CEL SHOULD be thrown.

On my old Bronco 2, of course the lovely ford engineers had two cats run in series, the PO of it had chopped the muffler off and the stuffing in the rear cat(metal mesh) was blocking the exit, as a quick fix to get her running well again, I got all that stuff out, and noticed that the front cat was clogged as it would glow red. Took a hammer drill and emptied it. With this all said, this was a TEMPORARY fix and should not , e permanent. The intentions were to put a High Flow cat on, but then I found my gem of a Cherokee and traded. Typically, car engineers design the car to run with a cat, removing one can harm the vehicle in the long run, not to mention its illegal.
WrenchedXJ is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 02:05 PM   #10
wildmustard

I live in an apparently cat-free zone. At least all research I have done has turned up no laws that prevent removing it. Initial licensing for vehicles previously registered in my jurisdiction only requires a safety check (lights, signals, brakes, wipers, etc.) We do not ever have to submit to emissions testing. My old 93 XJ came out of storage with rust holes in both cat and muffler. A DIY replacement muffler was $60. I replaced the cat with 2 feet of straight pipe, with one end expanded by the muffler guy - $5. A couple of clamps - $5 - and presto! Beautiful solution. Nice rumble. No issues. Mileage or power differences? Who knows. Lets face it, an XJ is not gas-mileage monster, and without a dyno power is subjective.

Note that US EPA and other statements about removal of cats being illegal simply do not apply in Alberta, Canada.

I do apologize for my post, and will remove it if asked. Yes, the forum rules do indicate that breaking a law is not be discussed. However, I will point out that all indications are that I have not broken any laws.

Last edited by wildmustard; 01-22-2013 at 03:46 PM..
wildmustard is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 02:26 PM   #11
dagr8tim

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildmustard View Post
I live in an apparently cat-free zone. At least all research I have done has turned up no laws that prevent removing it. Initial licensing for vehicles previously registered in my jurisdiction only requires a safety check (lights, signals, brakes, wipers, etc.) We do not ever have to submit to emissions testing. My old 93 XJ came out of storage with rust holes in both cat and muffler. A DIY replacement muffler was $60. I replaced the cat with a 2 feet of straight pipe, with one end expanded by the muffler guy - $5. A couple of clamps - $5 - and presto! Beautiful solution. Nice rumble. No issues. Mileage or power differences? Who knows. Lets face it, an XJ is not gas-mileage monster, and without a dyno power is subjective.
Top of page #2:
http://www.epa.gov/compliance/enforc...hsysrepair.pdf

97 XJ SE - DD/Light Trail Rig - The War Wagon
75 CJ5 with a badly chopped CJ7 Tub - Pandora
96 Land Rover Discovery - Black Dog; possible trail toy
dagr8tim is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2013, 02:53 PM   #12
Pats94
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I've read that before to follow the letter of the law installing high flow cats unless certified as direct replacements are illegal. Air intake and muffler enhancements violates epa certified noise levels.
You all in violation so park them.
Unread 01-22-2013, 08:01 PM   #13
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dagr8tim View Post
^ wildmustard is in Canada, the EPA being a US gov. agency has no jurisdiction there so this doesn't apply to him. I'm not sure what if any restrictions exist in Canada as far as modifying or removing the cat.
dmill89 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 10:29 AM   #14
Purcell69
1993 ZJ 

With regard to the OP's question, you can replace the two wire O2 sensor with a heated four wire sensor, connected to keyed 12v power, to help tell the computer what to do. From the other posts, it seems that it will not throw a CEL either way. I have a 1995 parts XJ that I pulled the exhaust off of and I have driven it around my property without getting a CEL, but then it was only run for a few minutes.

-Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-02-2013, 12:29 PM   #15
mschi772
Web Wheeler

1997 XJ Cherokee 

Regardless of your local laws, discussing topics like this are not allowed here because the JF does not want to facilitate dispersal of any info of this type to people who do have laws against it (that's my interpretation of one of the reasons for the forum rule anyway).

Even though you don't have any laws prohibiting it, you gain nothing by removing the cat (cats aren't restrictive and have an utterly negligible effect on performance). Cats last a long time and are relatively cheap for their lifespan, so if you have a cat problem, fix it. O2 sensors do more for your Jeep than just monitoring the cat, so it's in your and your Jeep's best interest to maintain the O2 sensors as well. By removing the cat, you only serve to pollute our air.
mschi772 is offline   Quick reply to this message
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.