95 Cherokee Country 4.0l, Misfire at low RPM, in high gear - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 95 Cherokee Country 4.0l, Misfire at low RPM, in high gear

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Flush Mount LED Bumper Lights, CREE

Unread 04-25-2013, 04:35 AM   #1
RealityBomb
1995 XJ Cherokee 

95 Cherokee Country 4.0l, Misfire at low RPM, in high gear

1995 Cherokee Country 4.0L Auto 4wd Transmission. I have replaced the plugs, wires, cap, and rotor. It seems like it improved a little, but still climbing hills, at around 40 - 45mph, in higher gears (4th or 5th)it feels like the engine is skipping. Flat road, or slightly downhill there seems to be much less misfiring. I'm scared that it might be timing chain. Any thoughts or ideas?

RealityBomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 06:42 AM   #2
M35A2
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Do a compression test and see what comes of it.
Unread 04-25-2013, 01:35 PM   #3
BigBadWuf
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Mine did this, it turned out to be the vacume hose that comes from the back of the valvecover, and goes to the intake manifold right behind the throttle body. It had a big ol crack in it, and as soon as i touched it pretty much broke in two.
BigBadWuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
BassMasterCHS
1993 XJ Cherokee 

2x on compression test. Mine was acting the same and I found out yesterday I have 30psi in #5.
Unread 04-26-2013, 04:15 AM   #5
RealityBomb
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks Guys, I'm going to check that vacuum hose tonight on my way to pick up the compression tester, from my nephew. I'll let you know what happens.
Unread 05-11-2013, 08:36 AM   #6
RealityBomb
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Well it took some time to find, after checking all the vacuum lines, twice, compression testing all 6, changing fuel filter (can't hurt)...still no better & getting worse. Me & my nephew were staring blankly under the open hood, both at a loss for ideas. He said let's look at the rotor again, what its not the right one. Lift the cap, take off the rotor, which looks a little crispy for being new. I grabbed the distributer shaft, and it wiggled back & forth..uh not good. Turns out the whole problem was the bearing in the distributer was gone. Swap out the distributer, play around with everything that goes into the lovely little job. She's back to purring like a kitten...now I need to do shocks & rear brakes.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.