94 XJ Rust and passing inspecton - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 94 XJ Rust and passing inspecton

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-17-2006, 10:43 PM   #1
cheloperins

94 XJ Rust and passing inspecton

I just bought a 1994 XJ with 140k for $800 and there is a 4 to 5 inch wide rust area from the front floor pan both on the drivers and passengers side it runs from in front of the front seats to the front of the rear seats.... I the drivers side I can see the carpet coming through. I have read some of the suggestions on fixing rust issues in the forums and think I should be able to do most of the prep work...

Other than knowing the person who is inspecting the vehicle are there any quick fixes to this....

This vehicle is not my daily driver but just basically a toy and something to get me to the top of the mountain where i live during a really bad snow storm... Should I just do go with using sheet metal and rivits or is get a new floor pan. I live in western massachusetts and if anyone has any suggestions I would be extremely grateful I am willing to learn if anyone has any tips...

I eventually want to do it right once warmer weather is here and I can do the work outside. This forum is such a great place to get started.

Thanks for all the info
Thanks,

J.A.

Last edited by cheloperins; 02-17-2006 at 11:23 PM..
cheloperins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2006, 11:58 PM   #2
cheloperins

Floor pan Kit or Sheet Metal Repair?

I have found a place online that is selling replacement floor pans... what option is recommended... Floor pan kit or using sheet metal and cutting it
Unread 02-18-2006, 07:16 AM   #3
dynamite44

if you just want to make it pass this time, you could allways do the halfassed thing and get some undercoating and spray it over the rusted area. that stuff can level out pretty well, making it look like the rust isn't that bad.
[URL=http://members.cardomain.com/outofcontrol]Cardomain[/URL]
[URL=http://capitaljeeps.com/gallery/dynamite44sgallery]my capitaljeeps.com gallery[/URL]
dynamite44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2006, 09:22 AM   #4
cheloperins

What kind of undercoating do you reccomend

What product do you reccomend for undercoating?
Unread 02-18-2006, 10:34 AM   #5
ktmracer419
1997 XJ Cherokee 

if you just undercoat it your gonna hate yourself in a year or 2, sure it's an easy way to help it pass inspection but the rust will still be there eating up your floor.

i let mine get so bad that one day half of my passenger seat fell through the floor, along with the seatbelt mount
35" beadlocked km2's
3" midarmed
more bells and whistles than you can shake a stick at
ktmracer419 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2006, 10:44 AM   #6
JrTjK
1978 FSJ Wagoneer 

if you're just looking to pass inspection soon, sand it down and put some rust repel stuff on it then later cover it in undercoating spray. i saw some floorpans on ebay the other day so you may want to try there, but i'm sure someone on here can help you find a website that sells them. goodluck!
JrTjK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-18-2006, 11:45 AM   #7
Brandon11130

Quote:
Originally Posted by JrTxJ
if you're just looking to pass inspection soon, sand it down and put some rust repel stuff on it then later cover it in undercoating spray. i saw some floorpans on ebay the other day so you may want to try there, but i'm sure someone on here can help you find a website that sells them. goodluck!
duck tape and card board, my friend has an old chevy and before he got it inspected he just put duck tape over the rust and rust holes.

[SIZE="1"] We do not ask for your poor or your hungry. We do not want your tired and sick. It is your corrupt we claim. It is your evil that will be saught by us. With every breath we shall hunt them down. Each day we will spill their blood ‘til it rains down from the skies.[/SIZE]
Brandon11130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2006, 11:20 AM   #8
cheloperins

Thanks for the help

Thanks for all the help everyone.... I can actually see the carpet coming through LOL so I guess for now to get it registered I am going to pull up the carpet enough to fill the holes with something.. Does the undercoating dry hard or is it more rubbering like the spray in bed liners... What about using fiber glass resin or something would that work as well....

Can anyone reccomend specific brands of hardener and undercoating sprays?

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.