94 jeep cherokee xj - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 94 jeep cherokee xj

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 10-01-2012, 05:36 PM   #1
ErickHodges

94 jeep cherokee xj

Its acting like it's fuel starved. I thought it was the fuel injectors so I got seafoam and added to to my gas but its still having a hard time starting. It turns over so its not the starter. I can get it started by 'bump starting' it (holding the gas and clutch down to start it instead of the gas and break). I just don't know where to start

ErickHodges is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2012, 05:59 PM   #2
dmill89
1995 XJ Cherokee 

When's the last time you changed the fuel filter?
dmill89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-01-2012, 07:14 PM   #3
bassicsk8r
2001 XJ Cherokee 

My first thought would be to look at vacuum connections. Is the a check engine light on? When the engines idling and you hit the brake, do the rpms change?
bassicsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-05-2012, 04:59 AM   #4
94TwoDoor
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Buy or borrow a fuel pressure tester and hook it up to the test point on the fuel rail. Should be like 40-45 PSI.

If fuel pressure is good and you still think it's fuel starved, then pull the rail and check the injectors. They could be gunked up and in need of a cleaning or replacement.

If fuel pressure is bad, then you've got the fuel pump, fuel pump relays/wiring, fuel filter, pressure regulator, or a leak somewhere as possible causes.
94TwoDoor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
engine , fuel , start problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.