94 Cherokee jerks in high gears and dies at idle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 94 Cherokee jerks in high gears and dies at idle

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 07-04-2011, 03:28 PM   #1
mtwilson87
1994 XJ Cherokee 

94 Cherokee jerks in high gears and dies at idle

My 94 XJ/Cherokee (4.0L, automatic transmission) will jerk pretty drastically when I am going down the interstate around 65-70 mph and try to accelerate slightly. I also does this when I am cruising around 45-50 mph and am slightly on the gas. If I accelerate hard through all the gears it will shift smoothly. Its only at low rpm's when I am slightly accelerating that it will jerk and make a clunking sound. I initially thought it may be a transmission problem but it shifts smoothly through low gears. I then replaced the TPS and nothing better. I just recently replaced the crankshaft position sensor also and that made it worse to the point where it wouldnt even idle correctly so I put the old one back on and now I am back at square one. The jeep also dies/shuts off randomly when its idling, or also when I am braking to stop at a stoplight. Any help or advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

mtwilson87 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
clunking noise , dies , jerking , shifting issues , shifting problems

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.