94 Cherokee jerks in high gears and dies at idle - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 1 Old 07-04-2011, 03:28 PM Thread Starter
mtwilson87
1994 XJ Cherokee 

94 Cherokee jerks in high gears and dies at idle

My 94 XJ/Cherokee (4.0L, automatic transmission) will jerk pretty drastically when I am going down the interstate around 65-70 mph and try to accelerate slightly. I also does this when I am cruising around 45-50 mph and am slightly on the gas. If I accelerate hard through all the gears it will shift smoothly. Its only at low rpm's when I am slightly accelerating that it will jerk and make a clunking sound. I initially thought it may be a transmission problem but it shifts smoothly through low gears. I then replaced the TPS and nothing better. I just recently replaced the crankshaft position sensor also and that made it worse to the point where it wouldnt even idle correctly so I put the old one back on and now I am back at square one. The jeep also dies/shuts off randomly when its idling, or also when I am braking to stop at a stoplight. Any help or advice is much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Tags
clunking noise , dies , jerking , shifting issues , shifting problems

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.