'93 Jeep Cherokee will not start - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > '93 Jeep Cherokee will not start

We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplieSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREESPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 09-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #1
SBTlauien

'93 Jeep Cherokee will not start

My 1993 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 6 cyl. will not turn over. The check engine light isn't on. All lights work. It has a new battery and altenator.

When I turn the key to start it, the temp gauge rises as usual but it doesn't even try to turn over.

A few days ago I noticed when starting it, that it was just barly turning over. Could it be a spark plug?

SBTlauien is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2010, 11:40 AM   #2
callmebobbyt
1995 XJ Cherokee 

a spark plug wouldnt cause it to not turn over. check your starter, make sure its got power. the solenoid could be bad and you may need to replace the starter assy.
33x12.5 "Richard" Cepek FC-II on 15x8 American Racing Black Steelies
SYE Kit with Tom Wood's Custom Driveshaft
HPD30 4.10 LockRight
C8.25 4.10
callmebobbyt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-09-2010, 12:01 PM   #3
Mikeand
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Check your connections to/on the starter. Take the cables off the starter and clean the cable ends and the starter posts.
1996 Cherokee Sport -4.6L Stroker, TB Spacer, Cold Air Intake, APN Header - D30 front / 8.25 Rear -RC 3" Lift -Dakota Leaf Pack -Rough Country Discos / -31" General Grabber A/T2s on 15x8 Cragar Soft 8s -Diamond plate rear quarter panels -Front bumper with hoop - IRO Double shear Track Bar and HD tie rod -Homemade light bar
Mikeand is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2010, 02:29 AM   #4
deimos_barret

check you battery terminal connections too. there was another thread similar to this and i've had those same symptoms in other cars due to a loose negative cable.
deimos_barret is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2010, 07:05 AM   #5
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

1. Connections are suspect. Remove battery cables and clean those and the battery posts until they are SHINY.

2. Try wiggling the shift lever when you crank it or try starting it in neutral. If either of these techniques work, you probably have a problem with the NSS (neutral safety switch). SEARCH

3. If it cranks over, but slowly. Load test the battery (yes, I know it is newer but they can fail too) and if that checks out, then put a meter on the starter itself. If you have approx. full battery voltage at the starter with the key in the ON position, then the starter is suspect. If you don't have full battery voltage, then you need to start working your way back into the engine bay to find out why.

Let us know what you find!
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2010, 12:38 PM   #6
dukie564
1995 XJ Cherokee 

jesus we really need a comprehensive sticky on this, maybe i'll make one up later this weekend.

I'll add to what TJwalker has started...

4. Remove the trigger wire running to the started solenoid, attach a multimeter to the wire and to battery -. Check for voltage when you crank the engine. Yes = starter connection or starter/solenoid bad.

5. Put one end of multimeter on starter post, one end on engine block (ignition "on") - if no voltage, you need to remove the starter and clean the contact surfaces between the starter and the engine block. I had this problem and this solved it (starter was not getting a good ground to the block)

6. Check starter relay for proper operation and voltage (search)
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/project-danger-cart-xj-1297118/
dukie564 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-19-2010, 11:49 AM   #7
SBTlauien

After making my initial post, I tapped a wrench on the starter, turned the key, and it started fine. It was starting alright until now. It was starting a little slow...kind of a weak turning over. It's not starting now unless I tap the starter with a wrench or hammer.

The last time my starter was going out(about 5 years ago), I remember that tapping on the starter would solve the problem.

There is an oil leak that leaks oil onto the starter.
Unread 09-19-2010, 05:12 PM   #8
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBTlauien View Post
f It's not starting now unless I tap the starter with a wrench or hammer.
Replace your starter........
Unread 09-19-2010, 11:22 PM   #9
SBTlauien

I replaced the starter and it starts fine now. Thanks everyone.
Unread 09-20-2010, 06:10 PM   #10
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Another happy Jeep Forum ending!
Unread 12-14-2011, 11:56 AM   #11
natecutlip212
1995 XJ Cherokee 

my jeep is doing the same thing but i replaced the battery i replaced the starter too and when i trun the key nothing happens
natecutlip212 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2012, 03:46 PM   #12
msgvas61
1999 XJ Cherokee 

i'm in the same boat, no start, no gauges, just the lights and the beeping noise when the key is in and the door is open. I had the CPS replac ed and it runs fine but the ignition cylinder locked up the other day so i took it apart got it unlocked. turn the key and nothing. i can get it to crank but not start, with a screw driver on the starter. I'm lost any ideas out there.
New to the forum but i'm original owner of thie 1999 cherokee and refuse tro get rid of it. 196000 miles and still going if i can start it.
msgvas61 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-31-2012, 04:34 PM   #13
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by msgvas61 View Post
i'm in the same boat, no start, no gauges, just the lights and the beeping noise when the key is in and the door is open. I had the CPS replac ed and it runs fine but the ignition cylinder locked up the other day so i took it apart got it unlocked. turn the key and nothing. i can get it to crank but not start, with a screw driver on the starter. I'm lost any ideas out there.
New to the forum but i'm original owner of thie 1999 cherokee and refuse tro get rid of it. 196000 miles and still going if i can start it.
Start a new thread. It is less confusing and will provide you with more accurate answers; people don't want to wade through an old thread for a new problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.