93 Jeep Cherokee Brake Problems - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 93 Jeep Cherokee Brake Problems

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-05-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
Teeters
1993 XJ Cherokee 

93 Jeep Cherokee Brake Problems

I've got a 1993 Jeep Cherokee with a 4.0, front discs and back drums...

I've been noticing for a little while that my brakes have been getting a little weak, but I can still stop just fine...

However, I have been driving for the last month or so, and it sounds like when I am driving that it's metal to metal... And then when you press the brake pedal, the sound goes away, until you let go of the brake pedal.

So obviously, I think brake pads...

Took my front wheels off today, brake pads are fine. Plenty left... Even the rotors are fine...

Just for the hell of it, I bled my brakes...

But then I decided to turn my rotors with my hand, and it made the same sound... But my brake pads are fine.. Looked at the dust cover and it wasn't rubbing against the rotor...

Put my tools up for the night, went to take a shower, and then I thought... Could it be the ball bearings?

Also: I was driving my Jeep for a long time one day, lots of stopping and going and stopping, red lights and such, and my driver side got really, really hot...

Like, to the point where I threw some water on it and immediately turned to steam... Let it sit for a while, got back in to drive it, seemed fine after that..

Maybe brake calipers...

Anyways, I am COMPLETELY OPEN to all ideas...

Teeters is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-05-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
Rhaller1982
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Sound like the problem I had a while back. My passenger side wheel got so hot and I thought it was the brake caliper going bad since it was not releasing right after I lift my foot off the brakes. I discovered the wheel hub was bad as if a ball bearing was missing. I replaced the wheel hub and the problem went away.
Rhaller1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:00 PM   #3
Teeters
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Took it for a test drive today after bleeding my brakes...

The sound seems to be gone, and I have tons more braking power... I'll see how it works...
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:50 PM   #4
Jeep_Tech
2004 TJ Wrangler 

jack the wheel up grap the tire at 10 and 2 if you have any play then the bearing is bad
Jeep_Tech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #5
Jeep_Tech
2004 TJ Wrangler 

but it really sounds like a hub bearing. Its super easy to replace. Just take your brakes and rotors off, undo the 36mm axle nut ant the 3 12pt 13mm bolts on back of the knuckle.
Unread 06-06-2013, 08:50 PM   #6
Rhaller1982
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Here's the write up to get the hub off but ignore the u-joint which is the same process. Just thought to throw the link in for your reference.
http://www.stu-offroad.com/axle/d30/axle-1.htm
Rhaller1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-07-2013, 07:40 AM   #7
Teeters
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Alright, I trust you guys.

I will go and switch out the bearings on both sides.

Gonna have to wait a day or two, though... That tropical storm is right on top of me right now... And I am without a garage.
Unread 06-07-2013, 11:37 AM   #8
Teeters
1993 XJ Cherokee 

So! Drove the Jeep around today for more than a mile, and guess what? You guys already knew, but the sound came back...

So, now the question is.. Can you change just the wheel bearings (ball bearings), or is it a whole hub assembly?
Unread 06-08-2013, 12:06 PM   #9
Jeep_Tech
2004 TJ Wrangler 

It is an assembly. around $100 for each side get timken if you can

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.