92 XJ Front turn signals always lit with headlights on - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 92 XJ Front turn signals always lit with headlights on

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSteering and more from Ruffstuff!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 07-17-2014, 11:47 AM   #1
cerrunos87
1992 XJ Cherokee 

92 XJ Front turn signals always lit with headlights on

I've recently had to do some work on the lighting after a kind gentleman pulled into my driveway right after me to inform me that I had no lights in my rear end. Upon pulling the lenses off I found that all of the sockets were crumbling away from rust due to the previous owners hack job trailer light job that allowed water to get inside the lenses.

So I replaced all those sockets with brand new ones, and while I was at it went with LED bulbs all the way around.

Now when my headlights are off everything works normally. As soon as I turn my headlights on both front turn signals light up, as well as the dash indicators. Utilizing the turn signal lever causes the dash light indicators to brighten and the corresponding rear turn signal to light up and stay lit.

I've since perused several forums looking for an answer and tried just about everything I can find. I've replaced all the ground points with heavy duty ground straps after polishing the co responding spot to a bright shine. I've replaced both flashers (I can actually hear the click for the first time since I've owned the vehicle). I've checked my wiring three times on each socket.

The only things that I've found thus far that I haven't had the funds to replace, are the turn signal switch and the headlight switch. I already know that I need to replace the wiper/cruise control assembly as I'm having issues with the windshield washer function.

Can anyone think of anything else I can do before I go and drop $50 on switches? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

cerrunos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2014, 12:02 PM   #2
ki4cye
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I would say check grounds at the bulb sockets to make sure they are good and make sure you have the right flasher for the led bulbs
ki4cye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2014, 12:26 PM   #3
cerrunos87
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the quick reply. Could the headlight ground be shorting through the turns? If so where are the headlight grounds located?
cerrunos87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 10:29 AM   #4
ki4cye
1990 YJ Wrangler 

I'm not sure where the grounds are located. I would guess around the headlights. Either on radiator support or fender
ki4cye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 11:07 AM   #5
1stockjeep
1993 XJ Cherokee 

This is a long shot but on some cars u have to run a resistor for rear led lights. Honestly it may not be the issue but if u have 2 stock bulbs try them just to see. If I remember the led bulbs just blink fast cause such low voltage cars think the bulb is burned out
1stockjeep is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2014, 04:06 PM   #6
Ferryman
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stockjeep View Post
This is a long shot but on some cars u have to run a resistor for rear led lights. Honestly it may not be the issue but if u have 2 stock bulbs try them just to see. If I remember the led bulbs just blink fast cause such low voltage cars think the bulb is burned out
Correct, the flasher must feed at least 40 watts to blink at the right interval, it warns you by blinking fast in case of a blown bulb.
There are electronic flashers that always blink at the same interval no matter how many watts is drawn but than again you have no control over a blown bulb.
Tony.
Ferryman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.