92 XJ Electrical Problems - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 92 XJ Electrical Problems

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-10-2011, 11:38 AM   #16
amatotime
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Look for corrosion

amatotime is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 08:51 PM   #17
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Go to Home Depot or electrical supply house. There is a radio shop, but their stuff is really low end. Home Depot has good soldering irons (Weller). If you start replacing wire, use marine grade, tinned wire. It is a lot more expensive, but it comes in different colors, and is very flexible (lots of small conductors). Much easier to work with and will last much longer.

Best

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-10-2011, 09:21 PM   #18
Lil_Jeep_Guy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

ok JWELK. would Lowes have it?
Unread 10-11-2011, 06:22 AM   #19
JWELK
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Give them a try, I know what you mean. I don't see a connection (no pun intended) for the radio to quit. But I'm certain it will make sense after you fix it.

Jim W
JWELK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 07:47 AM   #20
Brg0012
1983 CJ7 

Had almost the same problem on my 95 xj. Open the fuse box under the hood there a little fuse labeled IOD. I would put money that its blown. Also open the drivers door, remove the rubber grommet and I bet there is at least a few wires that have been rubbed to the metal or are completely broken.
Brg0012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-11-2011, 06:33 PM   #21
Lil_Jeep_Guy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

i know that the wires in the drivers door aren't broken... 3 were slightly coroted but not broke... i'll go check that fuse out right now though
Unread 10-11-2011, 06:45 PM   #22
Lil_Jeep_Guy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

just checked the IOD fuse... pulled it and it's not blown... put it back in and instantly the light under the hood came on but nothing else
Unread 10-12-2011, 03:36 PM   #23
Lil_Jeep_Guy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

So apparently that IOD fuse had something to do with it.... today the radio turned on by itself for awhile and then shut off again for awhile... it kept doin that for about an hour and then the fuse blew in the fuse panel under the dash.... so i checked the ground wire and it was loose... tightened that up and put a new fuse in under the dash... started it up and still no radio... shut it own and checked the fuse again and it was fine... checked the fuse in the back of the radio and it was fine too... what else could it be?
Unread 12-28-2011, 05:34 AM   #24
Toxicjeeps
1992 XJ Cherokee 

If you find out what the problem is I'd love to know,my 92 XJ has the exact same issues. I also have the problem that my driver door window only goes down.
Toxicjeeps is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-30-2011, 03:02 PM   #25
Lil_Jeep_Guy
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah and if you figure out what it is let me know lol
Unread 12-30-2011, 07:02 PM   #26
bravojmc
1987 MJ Comanche 

I wonder if the battery at one time wasnt bolted down and jumped up and shorted the electrical system out on the hood...? If so bad news...
Unread 12-30-2011, 09:31 PM   #27
BlueRidgeMark
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Look for bad grounds, guys. Most electrical problems are either corroded connections or grounds.

Bad grounds can result in some crazy symptoms.
BlueRidgeMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #28
Mdeez415
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I have problems with the stock radio quitting as well. I have an 88 xj and I plan to put a new stereo system in it. With subs 6x9 in the back and 6 1/2 in the front. I put a 100 amp alternator and plan to run a capacitor for the system. Will the 100 be ok? Is there be any other things I should change in the process?
Mdeez415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-03-2012, 11:04 PM   #29
Reptile
Web Wheeler
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdeez415 View Post
I have problems with the stock radio quitting as well. I have an 88 xj and I plan to put a new stereo system in it. With subs 6x9 in the back and 6 1/2 in the front. I put a 100 amp alternator and plan to run a capacitor for the system. Will the 100 be ok? Is there be any other things I should change in the process?
Depends on the total wattage of the sound system that you want. Also the amp rating of the alt is based on a certain RPM, in reality you don't get that much out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdeez415 View Post
Is there be any other things I should change in the process?
Yeah make sure the wiring and fuse are adequately sized.
Reptile is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-04-2012, 09:55 AM   #30
sirvs
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil_Jeep_Guy View Post
So apparently that IOD fuse had something to do with it.... today the radio turned on by itself for awhile and then shut off again for awhile... it kept doin that for about an hour and then the fuse blew in the fuse panel under the dash.... so i checked the ground wire and it was loose... tightened that up and put a new fuse in under the dash... started it up and still no radio... shut it own and checked the fuse again and it was fine... checked the fuse in the back of the radio and it was fine too... what else could it be?
Something is loose, as you probably know. Check for corrosion around the fuse/harness on the back of it. It could also be the wiring on the back of the stereo is loose.
You said it wasnt stock so check to see if who ever put it in used a harness or hardwired it. Depending on the install the power could have wiggled loose if they used crimps or broken if they soldered it. If a wiring harness, corrosion or just being lose.
if all that fails, check for continuity between the fuse box and the power line of the radio.

For your windows (if you havnt gotten them fixed). Check the window lock switch. You say they all work from the driver side but none from the others. If the wires were corroded the switch is almost definetely destroyed. There is a bypass you can do, make a quick search for it. I think if you connect the big yellow wire to the big tan wire from the 2 harnesses you'll bypass but dont quote me on those colors!
The window lock switch is extremely common to go wrong, and apparently if your windows work...your driver side wiring is fine besides the lock possibility.
sirvs is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
electrical , power lock , power window switch , stereo system

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.