Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

92 XJ Electrical Problems

6K views 30 replies 12 participants last post by  sirvs 
#1 ·
The radio quit out. the interior lights quit out. the windows all work but only from the drivers switches. the locks quit out. i need help!!!

#6 ·
Wonder if its been under water.... havent looked at my wiring diagram, but i'd lean toward a common plug with corrosion,etc....best case. could be all over if Its a flood car

if you find a common thread like a plug, try some wd40 if its got chalky white/green stuff on it before you start yanking it apart.

just some general ideas.....good luck!

#8 ·
Not under the hood the one under the dash driver's side. There is fuse on the back of the stereo also if it's stock. Could be a common denominator like an unplugged harness. Since you don't know the timeline of the failures you just don't know. Check the fuses first, won't' cost you any money.

#10 ·
I've had similar problems on my '01 XJ. The power windows and locks were intermittent, and I traced the problem to about six broken wires in the harness between the driver's door and the interior. This is a common problem on XJs, I understand, but I don't know what range of years. The breaks occur in the area protected by the rubber boot between the door and frame. To remove the harness I had to remove the interior door panel, the water barrier (a thin sheet tacked up on the door), and the driver's kick panel. The harness itself wasn't that hard to remove. Once I got the harness on the table and removed the protective cover, 12 broken and corroded wire ends popped up at me. Fortunately everything was color coded and easy to fix.

If you're handy with a VOM (multi-meter) you can check continuity on the wires by removing the interior door panel (disconnecting the connectors at the window switches) and the kick panel where you should find the other end of your harness. Shoot the wires and if any of them are open (no reading on the VOM) you've got a broken wire. Remove the harness and see what you've got.

The power mirrors also go through that same harness, but your other lights and the radio are controlled elsewhere and I can't help you with that.

Good luck.

#13 ·
So i checked out the area you spoke of monty and there was no broken wires. So, I pulled the wire harness for the drivers side door and found some coroted(however you spell it) wires. I'm in the process of making a whole new harness for it.

#17 ·
Go to Home Depot or electrical supply house. There is a radio shop, but their stuff is really low end. Home Depot has good soldering irons (Weller). If you start replacing wire, use marine grade, tinned wire. It is a lot more expensive, but it comes in different colors, and is very flexible (lots of small conductors). Much easier to work with and will last much longer.

Best

Jim W

#20 ·
Had almost the same problem on my 95 xj. Open the fuse box under the hood there a little fuse labeled IOD. I would put money that its blown. Also open the drivers door, remove the rubber grommet and I bet there is at least a few wires that have been rubbed to the metal or are completely broken.

#23 ·
So apparently that IOD fuse had something to do with it.... today the radio turned on by itself for awhile and then shut off again for awhile... it kept doin that for about an hour and then the fuse blew in the fuse panel under the dash.... so i checked the ground wire and it was loose... tightened that up and put a new fuse in under the dash... started it up and still no radio... shut it own and checked the fuse again and it was fine... checked the fuse in the back of the radio and it was fine too... what else could it be?

#30 ·
Something is loose, as you probably know. Check for corrosion around the fuse/harness on the back of it. It could also be the wiring on the back of the stereo is loose.
You said it wasnt stock so check to see if who ever put it in used a harness or hardwired it. Depending on the install the power could have wiggled loose if they used crimps or broken if they soldered it. If a wiring harness, corrosion or just being lose.
if all that fails, check for continuity between the fuse box and the power line of the radio.

For your windows (if you havnt gotten them fixed). Check the window lock switch. You say they all work from the driver side but none from the others. If the wires were corroded the switch is almost definetely destroyed. There is a bypass you can do, make a quick search for it. I think if you connect the big yellow wire to the big tan wire from the 2 harnesses you'll bypass but dont quote me on those colors!:nono:
The window lock switch is extremely common to go wrong, and apparently if your windows work...your driver side wiring is fine besides the lock possibility.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.