92 XJ Build - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 92 XJ Build

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire Carr

Unread 09-29-2007, 08:25 PM   #1
ddeadserious
1998 ZJ 

92 XJ Build

I think I deleted my old thread or it got deleted or something, I can't find it, and figured I'd share my build thread with you guys with all the new members and stuff.

I'm just going to post my posts from my build thread on my local board, if you have questions, feel free to ask.

Specs: 4in lift(who knows what brand), near new 33x12.50x15 Cooper Discoverer S/T's on 15x8 Crager soft 8's.

Lots and lots and lots of rust. I have people that are willing to assist me in welding in some new floorplans and patching some of the current floorpans.

The person who sold it to me provided me 3 pristine doors, and a new header panel. So since I pulled the passenger fender off my XJ, I'll be able to fix the headlight bezel issue. This will also solve one of the redneck hack job front fenders, I just need a drivers side one.

Plans for it - make it look just like my old XJ, but a different color.
I still have the custom front and rear bumpers, lower door diamond plate for all 4 doors, quarter panel armor, hood louvers, herculine the interior after I fix the rust, RK long arm, 5.5" RE coils, JCR 1-ton steering, 4.5" RE leaves w/ 1.5" Teraflex lift shackle, with my 33x12.50x15 trXus once I get the bigger lift on.

I already have all of the pieces except front shocks, LCA brackets, one Krawler joint, and extended brake lines.

The only thing that needs to be taken care of asap is the fact that the tranny crossmember is missing a bolt on each side because supposedly the PO(before the guy I bought it from) broke off the bolts. Any ideas on what to do about this?

here's the old one being hauled away

1998 White ZJ Laredo: 5.2/242 // d30/d44a // BB // MX6's // Black Steelies // 30x9.50x15 BFG A/T's // FM50 // JCR T-Case Skid // Leather and stuff

Last edited by ddeadserious; 09-29-2007 at 08:39 PM..
ddeadserious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-29-2007, 08:27 PM   #2
ddeadserious
1998 ZJ 

First of all, I really miss my old XJ.

Now, onto the progress I've made.
Replaced one of the redneck fenders(have another in the garage waiting to be trimmed) and the header panel:

cut out most of the front passenger floor, have a template, just need to cut the new metal to fit tomorrow.

fixed the broken crossmember bolts(thanks to Jack(rubicon 1/jeepman of westland))

pulled the drivers side carpet, not as bad as the passenger side was.

got this(thanks to sledder):

It just needs a wire feed motor and it'll be good to go. For now, I'm just going to screw in the sheet metal with self tappers until I get the welder functioning correctly.

also, got these, the last pieces to my long arm kit. Now I just need someone to weld them to my framerails.

My $16 harbor freight angle grinder is easily the best $16 I've ever spent.

More updates soon as I'm done with classes this Thursday.

1998 White ZJ Laredo: 5.2/242 // d30/d44a // BB // MX6's // Black Steelies // 30x9.50x15 BFG A/T's // FM50 // JCR T-Case Skid // Leather and stuff
Unread 09-29-2007, 08:28 PM   #3
ddeadserious
1998 ZJ 

I've gotten some done over the last week. It's moving along at a tolerable pace.

got the header panel and one fender painted, but the primered one is giving me some trouble(need to sand it down again due to 84384 layers of different paint).

the bumper will be installed soon(the old one sucked to get off)

I just need to weld the floor panels in, but for the most part, now the front floors are taken care of, I can move on to the other stuff, then I'll take care of the rest of the floors.

I'm going to start on the doors this week, and soon enough, I'm going to install my long arm kit soon(my goal is to have it painted and have the 1-ton steering and long arms installed by memorial day weekend.

the progress will speed up over the next 3 weeks.

Unread 09-29-2007, 08:31 PM   #4
ddeadserious
1998 ZJ 

Got my two new trXus(have two others in the garage, just ran outta time today). Installed my front clip. Ground off the swaybar mounts from the axle. Ground and painted rusty spots in the wheelwells.

Set up an appointment with Jeeperz Creeperz(www.jeeperz-creeperz.com) to get my SYE installed next week and will be selling the 33" Coopers this weekend to pay for the SYE/install.

I'll get more done tomorrow.

ask and ye shall recieve, thanks for asking.

Got the rear doors done, just need to finish modifying the hinges and mount 'em.

JCR 1-ton steering(thanks natureboynate47!)

cut the rusty lower rear quarter(still need to fill plate the bottoms.)

swapped the rear axle for the other 8.25 w/ the powertrax no slip in it.(still haven't hooked up the brakeline.)

Unread 09-29-2007, 08:32 PM   #5
ddeadserious
1998 ZJ 

Aside from doing the main rear brakeline yesterday, I was a wreck, so I got some crap done today after helping a friend install a BB on his new ZJ.

Got one of the floor panels welded up and sealed. I'll herculine it probably tomorrow or something.

I cut off the rusty rockers on both sides and painted the underlying metal with rustoleum. I'm going to find someone to weld in some 3x6 box tubing it it's place. It'll stiffen things up some and definitely give me some protection, a hilift point, and added ground clearance over traditional sliders.

anddddddd I got all the doors off.

Also, I began making my patch panels for the rear quarters, just haven't gotten far fast bending 16ga sheet metal with a hammer between two cinder blocks.

When trying to disconnect the rear brake lines on the axle, I broke them on both sides so I'll be replacing those probably tomorrow. and hopefully driving it to work tomorrow night if all goes well(Which it probably won't)

Got the hood vents installed and painted the hood. Didn't get the chance to get the bumper on due to interruptions and having to go buy more self-tappers.

Front bumper is on tomorrows agenda.

Off to work in the doorless, two toned XJ.

_______

Got the front bumper on with 1/2" and 5/8" grade 8 hardware along with new tow hooks.

painted and clearcoated my d-rings despite the face the paint will scratch off the first trip out.

and an overall shot, man I love driving without doors

oh, and I've discovered my powertrax no-slip is not unlocking.

Unread 09-29-2007, 08:33 PM   #6
ddeadserious
1998 ZJ 

My frame stiffeners came in this afternoon, I'll be getting those welded on along with the long arm mounts soon. I've got t minus 7 days to get my list done, and I just might be able to.

I haven't had alot of time to work on it lately, but I got some done Tuesday and Today.

Got my cowl and A-pillars painted:

Painted my door jams/b pillars:

Herculined the passenger side after I finished welding and sealing my patches:

Welded and sealed the drivers side patch panel, I'll be herculining it tomorrow morning:
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v25/trialbyashes/100_1234.jpg[/IMG

Here's a closeup of my less ghetto rigged than before TJ mirror. Two of the 3 bolt holes line up with 2 of the three XJ hinge holes:

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddy maki View Post
:thumb: its gona look sweet!
you should paint a black star in the middel of your grill at the top and battaion and unit # on your bumpers:sonicjay:
Yeah I'm tossing multiple ideas around. Perhaps a white star on each front door. Maybe numbers on the fender above the tire. I've also considered, that maybe when I get sick of the green, use the green as a base and do the army's new tech looking camo just using 2" masking tape masked off straight but randomly.

anyways, here's an update from what I've been able to do over the last couple day(other than yesterday, since I was forced to go to the mounds.)

Now everything's painted except for the drivers side quarter panel, the hatch, and the roof.

Got the driver side front herculined and my 97+ center console and TJ t-case shifter lever installed.

anddddddd painted the rear floor, installed the rear seat, and cut up my buddy's JK carpet to fit in the back(the floor's not dry though, so it's no in/pictured.)

Hopefully tomorrow, I'll have my TNT frame stiffners installed along with the long arm mounts. Long arms will be installed Tuesday or Wednesday along with the rear doors. Then I only have a few things to finish up before I leave Friday or Saturday for a week of wheeling.

Unread 09-29-2007, 08:34 PM   #7
ddeadserious
1998 ZJ 

well, bad news is that I wasn't able to get enough done to take it up north with me for the last week, but I guess wheeling shotty and not breaking things is better than bringing up a half-built rig and breaking things.

good news is that things are still getting done.
Got the frame stiffners welded in with the LCA mounts and began drilling holes for the UCA mount, just ran out of time. Thanks bigcountry and donkc for your skills and equipment.

Got the long arms all sanded and painted. There was alot more rust on them than I thought, but nothing detiorating, just surface stuff. The arms are solid stock anyways.

Got the rear bumper sanded down and bought bolts. I'll be painting and hopefully installing tomorrow.

got half of the rear quarter armor on. Self tappers aren't going cut it though, so I'll be buying some nice flush hardware for them.

Now I'm not on a time constraint, so things will probably be cleaner from here on out, rather than me just trying to get it done asap.

I'll miss out on some wheelin this summer, but winter wheeling is more fun in Michigan.

Unread 09-29-2007, 08:36 PM   #8
ddeadserious
1998 ZJ 

hatch painted

rear bumper on

CB mount and crooked flashlight mount

I haven't decided whether or not to put the tire carrier on it yet. I'm not sure I'm content with the mounting points(9 currently) all with new grade 8 hardware. There's six 1/2" diameter bolts, two 9/16" bolts, and two 1/4" bolts. And although I can jump on the bumper and it doesn't give way, I feel like the mounting points might not be enough to sustain a 100 pound tire up there bouncing up and down every day.

Yep I'm lazy and haven't gotten much done. I replaced one shaft and unit bearing along with the front brakes. I've just been driving it and not working much on it. But here's some stuff I've gotten done.

rear quarter armor and lower door diamondplate:

Installed rear tire carrier/cb antenna:

andddddd how it sits:

My goal is to be done by the pig gig, so I need to get rolling

things that need to be done before pig gig:
install long arms
install 5.5" RE coils
install 4.5" RE leaves and 1.5" lift shackle
get driveshaft extended
front doors
backup lights
steering box brace(s)
and add some beef to my front and rear bumper mounts.

Unread 09-29-2007, 08:37 PM   #9
ddeadserious
1998 ZJ 

Did this yesterday because the front speakers are in the doors, so i picked up one of these and threw on a real domelight. Very happy with the results.

and for the good stuff

Couple of guys from a local board came over today and helped out alot. Everything except for the body end drivers side LCA bolt came out nice and smooth with my $40 HF electric impact. So as of now, everything is disconnected and the axle is in the garage, so after I replace the UCA bushing with the provided Rock Krawler one, I'll throw a nice coat of paint on it(because why not?).

I also decided to go with the big lift, so I'll be at 5.5" in the front, and ~5-6" in the rear when I get the chance to do so. I figured while I've got the entire axle out, I might as well put in the big coils rather than the small ones and then put the big ones on 6 months down the line.

Hopefully I'll be done tomorrow since I have work Monday.

Unread 09-29-2007, 09:55 PM   #10
Jeepernick
2008 XJ Cherokee 

nice work... keep it coming

Jeepernick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-06-2007, 03:02 PM   #11
ddeadserious
1998 ZJ 

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
All freaking done with the long arms. Took one week flat.

Here's some of the buildup pics, and flex pics. I was concerned with how small the lift is, that the LCA's would hit the frame rails before the bumpstops mattered, but it just cleared it.

I could have gone further, all 4 tires were on the ground, none of them were touching the fenders or the bumpstops, but I was just being a baby.

I ended up just putting the 3" coils back in + a 1" spacer, because I learned that the 5.5" RE coils, are just as long as the shocks are completely extended. And I don't currently have the cash for new shocks.

Next step: doors.

Unread 10-06-2007, 03:12 PM   #12
blackbee
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Nice work! the begining pics look like my 92....
I have my work cut out for me!
blackbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2007, 04:32 PM   #13
ddeadserious
1998 ZJ 

Well here's the doors on. 10 street cred to whoever can pick out something strange with the door(s).

Unread 10-23-2007, 04:53 PM   #14
98_classic
1999 TJ Wrangler 

uhh is it the new style mirrors? or is it the 2 piece glass on one side and one piece glass on the other?

99 TJ Sahara - 3" FT economy lift, JKS disco's, 33 x 12.50 BFG MT's on silver D-windows, 1" BL/MML, smittybilt tire carrier
98_classic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2007, 04:57 PM   #15
lost honda pro
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeadserious
Well here's the doors on. 10 street cred to whoever can pick out something strange with the door(s).
were the pre-'96 mirrors different than the 97+ mirrors? those look like the new ones...

DO I WIN!?!?!

looks great bro, i really envy having a project :-(
lost honda pro is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.