92 sport - 2dr build - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 92 sport - 2dr build

Oconee Off-Road Now Offering Zone Off-Road Products!!!Warn and Smittybilt Free Shipping OfferRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 03-21-2009, 07:56 AM   #31
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well survived the first official wheeling trip since the roof removal / stiffener additions. Wheeling it faired great, though it has some tweek sheetmetal - lol. Soft top suffered utter failure at 70mph - luckily I added to straps to the rear, so it stayed on. We pulled over and took the top off, and I have since made some modifications to the front in hopes to remidy the problem.

Picked up a set of doors to make 1/2 doors now - good golly what fun getting them hinge bolts off (torq heads). Got the drivers side finally off - had to sacrafice one head. Passenger side is another story - able to get one bolt out, but the remaining 5 are not moving. Bent one of my torq sockets so far. So been soaking for a few days and will try again either tomorrow or Monday. No pics for now - at work and didn't load my new ones up.

92XJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 11:02 AM   #32
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

honestly i never liked the way you cut the top.... but man, this thing is startin to get cool. and yeah i think you should put those ammo cans there for little stuff. that looks cool. sweet jeep man! you need some wheelin shots.

-Sean
Unread 03-21-2009, 11:31 AM   #33
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

lol - ask and you shall receive

Nothing spectacular, and most of the time we didn't have to stop in our group while wheeing so didn't any great action shots. Here's a few.

I am hoping once I get a welder I can do so better modifications to the roof. That center area is what makes it look "eeck", but for now its housing my cb - though did find the center section moves enough to click my dome lights on. After a two hour trip on the trailer, went to unload and was like "what the heck - I don't remember putting these lights on". I think the draft moved the sheetmetal enough to click on the map lights.

Still at time am debating selling it, or parting it out - who knows, I seem to change my mind every day on this thing. Hmm after looking at these pics - I am now debating painting the rims. They seem to stick out too much being white.
Unread 03-21-2009, 12:27 PM   #34
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

i like the idea of skylights, just dono i probly woulda done something different if it were mine. but its cool. looking nice. and half doors is a good idea. interested on how those will come out.

-Sean
Unread 03-21-2009, 07:47 PM   #35
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

Heck these doors appear to be in better shape then my current ones - lol:

Pic didn't turn out as good as I hoped - here is some of the damage from last trip. Had to motivate the rocker panel down so I could close my door easier.

Unread 03-21-2009, 10:08 PM   #36
Teal96XJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Good build man keep it goin.......

RC 3inch AAL Lift/Trimmed Fenders/HomeMade Intake/Optima RedTop/Hurst Shift Knob/Reese Hitch/Custom 2.5 Inch Full Exhaust/Both Swaybars Removed/33 MT's/Smoked Out Light's/E-Fan Bypass Switch/Cobra Ultra III Cb/Baja Light's.......
Teal96XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 10:22 PM   #37
atv_fanatic
1996 XJ Cherokee 

sweet build gotta love the two doors...
1996 xj,aw4,np242, 77,000miles DD =)

1996 xj 5spd,4.5 RE superflex,rugged ridge SYE, 33" BFG KM2's,rough country sliders,Dirtbound offroad front winch bumper,OR-FAB rear bumper,smittybuilt 8k winch,optima red top,flowmaster 40, bedlined rockers and floors.
atv_fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-21-2009, 10:35 PM   #38
HankyDanky
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Nice, I actually like the roof like that. Guess I know what I am doing this weekend...

The XJ Rebuild- http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/m...build-1327643/

People are always grabbing the handles, clutching the seat, or stomping an imaginary brake peddle when we're out having fun.
HankyDanky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 04:35 AM   #39
FISTFULL
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92XJT View Post

Pic didn't turn out as good as I hoped - here is some of the damage from last trip. Had to motivate the rocker panel down so I could close my door easier.
Looks like it is time to buy some rocker guards or fab up a set of your own!

99 Sport, 3.5" RE front coils and Quadratech HD rear leafs with RE AAL, Rusty's shocks. RE HD ADJ Track Bar. RE Hack n Tap SYE. 32"Falken Mountain Peak AT's on 15x8 (4.5"bs) procomp rockcrawlers. YJ Front Brake Lines. 2.5" IRO catback with Magnaflow cat. C4x4 Tow Hooks. Rear Diff Guard. Warn Front Diff Guard and TC Skid. Yakima rack. Mega Warrior Safari Rack. Cobra CB. AJ's Rocker Guards. JCR Stage 1 rear bumper. JCR Stage 4 front bumper. ORE front steering box brace.
FISTFULL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-22-2009, 11:01 AM   #40
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

lol - ain't much left of the rockers now...... Yeah plan is to put some 2x6 tube in place of the rockers.
Unread 03-26-2009, 08:01 AM   #41
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

Some updates - finally got the full doors off. Passenger side was a royal pain, and ended up cutting all 3 lower bolts off. Got the passenger door up, taped and cut for the 1/2 door - need to get some filler metal now. Working on the driver side as I typed this - lol (inside on break for a few). Got bored and ditched the white rims - same rims, but different color. Made a big difference.

Painted a good portion of the cage yesterday, but too cool out today - also going back to working nights tonight.

Anyways - onto the pics - hope you all enjoy:

Initial mock up for cut lines - don't worry didn't go that low after the last revision.

I now have removable full doors - need to get new pins and weld for passenger side:

While working on the doors - decided on this color to paint the rims:

so went from this:

to this (final decision on cut lines for 1/2 doors):

Passenger door off - finally (and some skin / blood later)

Did the notch / screwdriver trick, well for one, the other two wouldn't budge, but then the entire nut assembly fell off.

Cutting:

Unread 03-28-2009, 03:24 AM   #42
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well this stupid thing called a job is getting in the way - lol Working nights right now, but got all the cutting down for both the passenger and drivers door (that one only took 2hrs to do). Got some ideas for door handles, and scheming some plans for inner panels / covers.
Unread 03-28-2009, 10:39 AM   #43
89SAFARIXJ
1989 XJ Cherokee 

sweet with the half doors dude! lol that thing has some rocker damage i see...

-Sean
Unread 03-30-2009, 01:22 AM   #44
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

Was able to spend an hour or so out in the garage before going to work:

Finish up nights this morning - so hopefully after a few hours of sleep I can get all the cardboard mocked up, and start bending some metal to finish the doors. Probably paint the set of half doors a flat black when done.
Unread 03-30-2009, 02:41 AM   #45
xGArfx
1999 XJ Cherokee 

awsome build man i really like ur rig/setup... u might wana think about upgrading ur steering or at least ur tie rod for now those tires are probly pretty heavy for that winky dink stock steering and track bar
xGArfx is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.