Well survived the first official wheeling trip since the roof removal / stiffener additions. Wheeling it faired great, though it has some tweek sheetmetal - lol. Soft top suffered utter failure at 70mph - luckily I added to straps to the rear, so it stayed on. We pulled over and took the top off, and I have since made some modifications to the front in hopes to remidy the problem.
Picked up a set of doors to make 1/2 doors now - good golly what fun getting them hinge bolts off (torq heads). Got the drivers side finally off - had to sacrafice one head. Passenger side is another story - able to get one bolt out, but the remaining 5 are not moving. Bent one of my torq sockets so far. So been soaking for a few days and will try again either tomorrow or Monday. No pics for now - at work and didn't load my new ones up.
honestly i never liked the way you cut the top.... but man, this thing is startin to get cool. and yeah i think you should put those ammo cans there for little stuff. that looks cool. sweet jeep man! you need some wheelin shots.
Nothing spectacular, and most of the time we didn't have to stop in our group while wheeing so didn't any great action shots. Here's a few.
I am hoping once I get a welder I can do so better modifications to the roof. That center area is what makes it look "eeck", but for now its housing my cb - though did find the center section moves enough to click my dome lights on. After a two hour trip on the trailer, went to unload and was like "what the heck - I don't remember putting these lights on". I think the draft moved the sheetmetal enough to click on the map lights.
Still at time am debating selling it, or parting it out - who knows, I seem to change my mind every day on this thing. Hmm after looking at these pics - I am now debating painting the rims. They seem to stick out too much being white.
Some updates - finally got the full doors off. Passenger side was a royal pain, and ended up cutting all 3 lower bolts off. Got the passenger door up, taped and cut for the 1/2 door - need to get some filler metal now. Working on the driver side as I typed this - lol (inside on break for a few). Got bored and ditched the white rims - same rims, but different color. Made a big difference.
Painted a good portion of the cage yesterday, but too cool out today - also going back to working nights tonight.
Anyways - onto the pics - hope you all enjoy:
Initial mock up for cut lines - don't worry didn't go that low after the last revision.
I now have removable full doors - need to get new pins and weld for passenger side:
While working on the doors - decided on this color to paint the rims:
so went from this:
to this (final decision on cut lines for 1/2 doors):
Passenger door off - finally (and some skin / blood later)
Did the notch / screwdriver trick, well for one, the other two wouldn't budge, but then the entire nut assembly fell off.
Well this stupid thing called a job is getting in the way - lol Working nights right now, but got all the cutting down for both the passenger and drivers door (that one only took 2hrs to do). Got some ideas for door handles, and scheming some plans for inner panels / covers.
Was able to spend an hour or so out in the garage before going to work:
Finish up nights this morning - so hopefully after a few hours of sleep I can get all the cardboard mocked up, and start bending some metal to finish the doors. Probably paint the set of half doors a flat black when done.
awsome build man i really like ur rig/setup... u might wana think about upgrading ur steering or at least ur tie rod for now those tires are probly pretty heavy for that winky dink stock steering and track bar