92 sport - 2dr build - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 92 sport - 2dr build

The RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!Offset Tie Rod Kit From RuffStuff!Check out our NEW Steering Stuff!

Unread 11-16-2008, 07:05 AM   #16
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

Rear I decided to use an existing bar off the tonneau frame and trim it down to fit between the stock roof rack. Course this could get interesting since the frame is flat and the XJ roof is curved. The sides and front will be snapped down - I took the snaps of the frame and timmed the edges so they will sit more flush with the sheet metal.

No turning back now -

Also decided to get some diff guards:

92XJT is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2008, 07:10 AM   #17
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

Some more test fitting of the top:

Well its gone in the rear now too. Not sure if i will keep the "T" section in the middle after the cage is installed.

The high tech install tools:

Got a shop around here that does vinyl / cloth repairs and thad them trim the cover width to my specs and stitch it back up. So now the install of the cover can proceed.

Not all the snaps on yet:

Unread 11-16-2008, 07:19 AM   #18
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

For the rear all I did was bolt the frame down after the width was trimmed and it bent enough to fit the roof curvature. Plus with the thick weatherstripping it sealed up pretty tight.

Well after the few trips I did the front was starting to make some clunks, and then clicking in 4x4. Jacked er up and found that both bearings were ill, so decided to do an experiment. I bought one hub assembly off of ebay for cheap (new), and then a national bearing from rockauto. Installed them both within days of each other to so how long a known brand will last vs a cheap unknown brand.

can you tell which one is which by the pics?

Also noticed my passenger side sagging pretty bad, well the RC leaf pack was ill, and also found after a trip the shim that comes with them busted in half. Found a brand new pack on a classifieds section so couldn't resist.

a little difference - same brand too.

Now got a rollcage purchased and fabbed, so had to take out the seats for the install. Again if I had some weld abilities I may have tackled this myself, but I don't. Though a welder may be my christmas present from Santa......

Still had some concerns with the front of the cover. Obviously wind it going to get under the cover cause it isn't air tight and may pull it off the snaps. I may try to make some kind of wind deflector in the front, but I also stitched these on to help hold it down.

Have one on both sides. I have had the jeep outside in the rain since the top install and it stayed prefectly dry (so far). Only speeds I tested have been up to 25mph around the sub-divison. When I trailer it to the shop that will be the tops first higher speed test.
Unread 11-16-2008, 07:27 AM   #19
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

So right now total price is - $3161.95

okay that was the price before today's info, here is the updated listing:

Previous total - 3161.95
front and rear skids - $70
Rear RC leaf pack - $60
Soft top mod - $40
Rollcage + welding - $650 (could be more cause I am having more supports installed)
Ebay hub - $39
National hub - $118
New battery - $72

Current Grand total - 4171.95 once cage is installed (next week)
Unread 11-16-2008, 07:42 AM   #20
Whackmaster
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looking good............
Whackmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2008, 09:00 AM   #21
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

Well they way the top is currently it survived the 2.25hr trip going 70mph on the trailer. Only two snaps came undone - twice. One in the front, and one on the driver side side, about midway down. I thought for sure the wind would blow enough in the front to unsnap a lot more. Still may make some kind of air diverter in the front overtime to make sure wind can't get under the cover very easy. So cage should be done around mid December, and then the next purchase (hopefully) will be a front locker. Thinking about after x-mas buying a small welder so I can start tinkering more. I want to cut out the rusted rockers and replace that with some 2x6 metal tube.
Unread 12-14-2008, 09:43 AM   #22
berettajeep
1947 CJ2A 

I like! ...........

'74 Cherokee S 401/auto
berettajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-23-2009, 09:16 PM   #23
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

A few updates for anyone interested. Cage is installed, but did find out the soft top isn't very water tight in the front (due to only having snaps), and side wind gusts can, and will at times pop off some of the snaps - lol.

The rear points are not tied in yet - once it gets warmer need to drop the gas tank and work on that. So started making a new storage rack for the rear.

Unread 01-23-2009, 09:19 PM   #24
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

I do have current pics, but for some reason my camera doesn't want to download them to my computer. So for anyone that asks about shafts being secured, yes they are - all are bungied down so they cannot move. The short side passenger front I may do something different with so its not point towards my head (even though is secured down)

No - the padding is not the fun "noodles" or whatever they are called. It is actually padding - though not the certified stuff. For some reason I liked the yellow contrast - cage will be painted either gray or black once weather warms up.
Unread 01-25-2009, 07:29 PM   #25
berettajeep
1947 CJ2A 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 92XJT View Post
A few updates for anyone interested.
I Am! Its about time too!

'74 Cherokee S 401/auto
berettajeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2009, 08:05 PM   #26
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

lol - something happened to my photobucket account, and apparently my last batch of pictures didn't load up before problem occurred. That is why I mentioned the cage padding - the pics where showing that.
Unread 01-25-2009, 09:10 PM   #27
ajxj9197
2009 WK 

looks good i love everything cept the chopping of the roof, but thats completely a personal opinion so i love it...specially how fast this is coming along! keep up the great work i expect more
ajxj9197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-25-2009, 09:29 PM   #28
micahtbyrd
1995 YJ Wrangler 

nice build..Love the boggers....what cage did you install any links to the builders site...
Unread 01-25-2009, 11:50 PM   #29
ksturgio
1997 ZJ 

Sweet build I really dig pretty much everything your doing. The buckles for the top are way sweet keep it going.
ksturgio is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2009, 07:41 PM   #30
92XJT
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by micahtbyrd View Post
nice build..Love the boggers....what cage did you install any links to the builders site...

Hear comes the grilling now - I went with Motion Offroad since they were the closest, and cheapest. I believe there are some ill feeling here towads them, but don't want to get into any of those politics. I did find out we are getting a bonus in March so I can finally buy a welder. Once I get some practice with it, I plan on adding gussets for sure now, and then hopefully triangulate more this summer.

Got a few things done - still doing some adjustments, and starting to think it is looking cluttered in the jeep. lol - someone mentioned on my other build thread about looking like autozone.

Need to seal up my mounting bolts, and hoping this little enclosure will keep moisture from getting on my cb

Gotten these ammo cans for something else, but was debating about mounting them like this. For the most part they will be hidden once the spare is on, but still able to be opened.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.