92' Jeep Cherokee stuck in 4x4 part time? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 92' Jeep Cherokee stuck in 4x4 part time?

ROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail ANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete Building a Bumper?

Unread 07-22-2014, 09:41 AM   #1
TheNightingale
1992 XJ Cherokee 

92' Jeep Cherokee stuck in 4x4 part time?

Hello guys!

About a month ago I bought a 92 Cherokee I don't know much about Jeeps since it's my first one everything was going great, until today.

I was going on a muddy gravel road so I engaged 4x4 part time, worked good then when the gravel finished I switched back to 2wd and worked I drove like for 600 mts, and encountered more dirt and rocks and a slope. Switched back again to 4x4 part time when up the slope and arrived to my destination.

After I parked the Jeep I tried to switch it back to 2wd and the lever went to the position but the light of 4x4 part time stayed on. I pulled the lever all the way back to neutral and it worked because the transmission was in neutral switched to drive and I tapped the gas pedal and the truck didn't move, I switched it to 2wd and it seemed to work but the 4x4 part time light keeps on.

How can I know that is on 2wd I don't want to damage the transfer case also do you think it's the sensor malfunctioning as it's and old Cherokee with 250 k miles on it

Thanks a lot

TheNightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #2
bigislandhikers
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Give it gas on dirt or gravel and see if the back tires spin. Sometimes I have to put it in reverse and backup a few feet to get it back into 2wd.
bigislandhikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 11:47 AM   #3
Paradise XJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

The truck won't move if the t-case is in Neutral...even if the tranny is in gear.

Put it back in 2H and drive for a bit. Uusally only 20 ft or so and the light should go off.
Unread 07-22-2014, 06:23 PM   #4
TheNightingale
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks a lot, it worked. I put the tranny in Reverse and backed up and went back and forth and on the 4th try it worked.
TheNightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2014, 06:16 AM   #5
bigislandhikers
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNightingale View Post
Thanks a lot, it worked. I put the tranny in Reverse and backed up and went back and forth and on the 4th try it worked.
Glad it worked. I used my 4wd a lot last winter and it seems to get stuck less often.
bigislandhikers is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.