92 Fuel Gage Sender? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 92 Fuel Gage Sender?

~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFFSpartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREE

Unread 03-11-2013, 10:37 AM   #1
Shadow83

92 Fuel Gage Sender?

My 92 XJ has the old float type fuel gage sender and it has been freaky for some years. I cleaned it a while ago (when I replaced the fuel pump) and it worked a little better showing 3/4 when full and about a year ago it went to 1/2 when full. This weekend it dropped to almost empty and the light is on. Just to confirm it was the sender I filled the tank. it only took 8 gals and the needle did not move.

The only place that I can find for a new unit is a dealer and it is way too expensive at around $250.00, I'll use a dip stick instead for that much $$. Anyone know of a better price source? Any aftermarket available?

South Florida
Shadow83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 12:44 PM   #2
Xanduis
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I have the same issue, even with a new pump. I was told that it might be a short in the wire that runs from the gauge to the pump, or the gauge itself.

Next time you replace the fuel pump unit, make sure you disconnect the battery. That might cause the spazzing out and incorrect fuel level readings.

I got a new fuel pump for about $105 at O'Reilly's, which inclueds float, pump, sending unit, strainer, and tank o-rings. I also replaced the cheap tin locking ring with a more durable steel one for about $10. Had to bend the prongs on the tank out a bit to make it work, but it sits in place tighter and won't bend when being pounded back into place.
Xanduis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.