'92 Cherokee won't go over 10mph - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > '92 Cherokee won't go over 10mph

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSavvy Aluminum Gas Tank SkidFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-27-2009, 11:50 AM   #16
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

I'm going to pick it up in the morning. I've decided. It's even running fine right now, so if I can find someone to drive me up there I'll be able to get it home... OR... I wonder if I can just throw it on my insurance, include roadsixe assistance and get it towed home

Then I'm looking at another one that just appears to need the CPS replaced. I have him down to $900 from $1100 so far. That's a very clean looking '92 as well with only 153,000 on it.

koolaid5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 11:52 AM   #17
ehall
1991 XJ Cherokee 

blocked airflow somewhere... the computer fires the injectors according to the amount of air in the intake, so bad airflow means limited fuel and inability to throttle up the engine
ehall is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 06:47 PM   #18
Codetalker
1990 XJ Cherokee 

yeah there is a hissing noise coming from the intake and all the vacuum hoses are fine.
Codetalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-27-2009, 07:35 PM   #19
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Ok, thanks for the info....

I wanted to go and pick it up tomorrow, but I don't have a ride up there to Clayton, NC, so that I could drive it home. I'm still going to go up and see it and possibly buy it and get the title in my name.....just no way to get it home. If I can't get a ride up there I'll see if I can borrow a trailer from a guy at work. It's sad... my really only friend down here is heading to Comumbia tommorrow on a deployment.... Now I have not help doing anything Too many deployments and too much moving around isn't a great help in making buddies.
Unread 09-27-2009, 07:48 PM   #20
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

The problem could be the cat has came apart on the inside and the junk blowing around in there is clogging it sometimes. You can hit the cat a few times and see if you hear loose junk in there.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 11:03 AM   #21
Codetalker
1990 XJ Cherokee 

but i disconnected the cat from the exhaust line and it had the same problem. does anyone know where i could get a cpu connector so i could hook it up to it?
Unread 09-28-2009, 12:13 PM   #22
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

going to go pick up that Jeep here in about half an hour. Wish me luck on the hour long drive home with it
Unread 09-28-2009, 12:15 PM   #23
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by koolaid5 View Post
going to go pick up that Jeep here in about half an hour. Wish me luck on the hour long drive home with it
luck! .
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
"Live Free Or Die; Death Is Not The Worst of Evils." -General John Stark
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
perfect depends on how far away you are when you look at it:D
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millermagic View Post
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Kettles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-28-2009, 07:32 PM   #24
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

WOW!!! THAT was an experience

My first thought was ..... eh..... $300 no matter what condition it's in I'll pick it up and if it's in too bad of condition I can at least sell a few things to break even or even go ahead a few $$'s

When I got to this ladies TRAILER she had it running hhhhmmm... wonder why? Maybe because the starter is SHOT and you have to attempt to start the f'er 25 times before it finally catches and fires up? Yeah....probably. So, I knew it was in bad shape, but check out this list...

Driver's side door top hinge needs rewelded. It's still attached to the door and needs tacked back on to the body, so anytime you open the door you have to hold it up and then get the f'er to close

It has a sun roof but it leaks It leaked so long that it jacked up the headliner, so someone just yanked it all down... for the most part anyway...still has some crap hanging down

The passanger side mirror got knocked off. That's an easy fix though. It's just the rear clip that broke. I'm just going to jb weld that bastard in place for now.

She SAYS that the heat and A/C works, but the blower doesn't turn on.

No rearview mirror

a bunch of other little things inside.... and it SMELLS. If I get this running right the next thing I'm doing is stripping the seats out and attempting to salvage the carpet, but possibly just ripping it all out and spraying U-POL Raptor bedliner like I just did with my TJ. I actually considered just yanking the front doors off since they're jacked up anyway and going that route

ok....now to the engine/exhaust. She said that the pipe connecting to the CAT was disconnected... YEAH, because the F'N muffler is missing

While I drove it around town to get the title notarized it had pretty good pick up and although stupid loud it drove alright. Shocks could use replaced in the next year, tires as well, but overall not too bad for $300.

THEN.....THEN.... I get it on the highway. The first 15 minutes it acted fine, but then I just started losing pwr. It just had no "oomph" I could go about 45mph and that was it. At first I was trying to force it to shift and go faster, but it didn't seem to matter what gear I was in. It still wouldn't get up and go. So, to avoid pushing it too hard and causing it more problems I laid off it a bit. Sat in the right lane at 40-45 with my flashers on. What could be causing this... here are my thoughts

F'N exhaust
TPS
Clogged/Crappy fuel filter

Oh, and checked the air filter and it looks pretty new

IDEAS...THOUGHTS.... COMMENTS....LAUGHTER Let me have it

Unread 09-28-2009, 07:48 PM   #25
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

Stop complaining about a $300 xj and send it my way...

Power loss could easily be the cat being clogged. If not than I would guess something with the fuel system.
Door problem is terribly common with the pre 97's because the limiting strap on the door is too long, so swinging it all the way open yanks the hinges, eventually ripping them off. For the blower check the fuses and such first.

For the interior strip all the carpet and headliner out, and coat it with wahtever you want. You can even put sound deadening material down and the bedline it. Then take the seats out and wash them if they smell, you can rent a carpet cleaner machine or something if you want.

Get a cheap muffler and put it on.

and If it were mine I would chop the top off and have some fun with it.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
"Dee", a Patriot Blue 2001 Cherokee Sport 4.0L High-Output Pictures Build Thread
The Rocket Sheep
Quote:
Quote:
It's a 4.0 ... as long as there's something in the crank case that isn't coolant I'm sure it will still run forever.
Unread 09-28-2009, 08:47 PM   #26
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Funny you should mention about the top. I had that thought when I was chugging down the highway today. that would be sweet. I was thinking...lose the doors, rip out the carpet, spray in bedliner, and chop the top off, that would kick ***. )

I'm not complaining....just venting a bit. I know I have a bunch of work ahead of me. The top of the list is the power issue, the doors to actually be able to open and close (or taken off all together), and exhaust taken care of.

I have a question about the exhaust. Where can I pick up a cheapo to get me by? Should I just go ahead and replace the CAT as well or is there a way to check it? Can I do the exhaust myself or do I need to take it somewhere? I put an exhaust on my motorcycle, but the scale is a bit smaller there I can't weld...YET... but I'd like to learn. If there is no welding involved then I guess I can handle it...just need to know where to go to get one....used from junk yard, or cheapo off of ebay, or local muffler shop or what ?????

Thanks for the help
Unread 09-28-2009, 08:50 PM   #27
Kettles
2001 XJ Cherokee 

I think a local muffler shop would do it pretty cheap. Its just some bent tube, and the muffler. Multiple online companies sell cat back systems too.

As for the cat, I hear you can hit or shake it and listen if anything moves. It the insides move then it needs to be replaced.
_.(o)_)__.(o)_)--o-)_)
The Rocket Sheep
Quote:
Quote:
Unread 09-29-2009, 06:28 AM   #28
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Look for my new thread on this "build", if that's what you want to call it . It will be called "BEATER BUILD" I'll come back here and post a link. I think it will get more traffic than this one though.

*edit*

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/3...-build-867664/

Last edited by koolaid5; 09-29-2009 at 06:48 AM..
Unread 09-29-2009, 01:54 PM   #29
Codetalker
1990 XJ Cherokee 

i also bought a xj for cheap but the lady i bought it from had it in pretty good condition just needed to be vacuumed out and new fuel pump an it was good as new. but now its busted. i tried the cat and no hope, replaced the fuel filter, fuel pump (again), fuel rail, fuel lines, and put in a new o2 sensor, oil pump, but still nothin, but before this happend i noticed that when i got to like 45 mphs it would shake and then when i would get to like 50 mphs it would stop shakin, but now its just totally outta power, anyone on here have any ideas on wat it might be? other than, cat, muffler, fuel system, or o2 sensor?
Unread 09-29-2009, 02:54 PM   #30
koolaid5
Stuck In The Garage!

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Did you check the Throttle position sensor (TPS)???

Is it COMPLETELY dead or just won't go over a certain mph?

Good Luck

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.