'91 XJ Rear Bumper Build - Doing it strong - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > '91 XJ Rear Bumper Build - Doing it strong

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 07-28-2012, 11:33 PM   #1
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

'91 XJ Rear Bumper Build - Doing it strong

I need a new rear bumper. It's either that or long-arms. I'm not really prepaired for that. So a bumper it is. I always overbuild everything,
knowing this I decided on 2x4 stock instead of 2x6. I got 10 feet of 3/16" at the local steel yard.
I also picked up some scrap 2" strap x 3/16" and a hitch receiver.

I was motivated by a couple of builds worth mentioning:
Paraleyes rear bumper build is the best I've seen. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f11/c...t-way-1007865/
Husslers Doing it Perfect is an exercise in free thinking. http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f37/d...rrier-1331910/
Both contain a solid build and a classic design.

Hopefully, I can make one that looks respectable.

I made inserts

added ears

Gave it some shape

Centered and tacked it

and welded it up

I also trimmed the ends, added runners to protect the fenders, cut the cavity for the hitch, added the hitch and tail-light risers, finish welded.

Some time later

Cleaned up

I'm planning on adding chain hoops and strengthing the receiver. I'll add some random gussets,
weld in some low spots and final grind, then some bondo to smooth it out, prime and paint.

More pics to come

Diamond-x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2012, 02:36 AM   #2
jakeleverett
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Looking good! Great start! Im excited to see it all painted up! This is similar to what I would like to do when I get down to building mine!
jakeleverett is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2012, 07:29 AM   #3
cbenez1
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Nice job !
cbenez1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2012, 09:21 PM   #4
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Some progress

Added gussets to the hitch

Chain hoops

Installed

Finished

Removing the old hitch significantly improved the departure angle. I zip tied the trailer wiring for now, I'll fab a bracket for it.
I also plan on a swing out. I have a swing down hitch mount that is back on, it's functional but hides the bumper.

That's it for now
Unread 07-29-2012, 10:15 PM   #5
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Don't mean to insult you, but your welds need to be better. Grinding and Bondo is no substitute for a good weld. Bad welds break, and I know you don't want that. Practice, practice, practice... find a guy who's really good and ask for advice. Search YouTube for welding videos, but be warned... half of those are flat-out wrong. Don't get frustrated; making really good welds is hard. Practice some more...
Unread 07-29-2012, 11:09 PM   #6
Diamond-x
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I never did get around to putting any bondo on it, just filled the low spots with weld and hit it with the grinder and flapper.

That hitch isn't going anywhere. Welds may not be pretty but the heat signature indicates good penetration. There is also some slop from the flux.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.