91 XJ + OME 3.5 = Possible? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 91 XJ + OME 3.5 = Possible?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 04-24-2012, 03:20 PM   #1
Sapper_D
1991 XJ Cherokee 

91 XJ + OME 3.5 = Possible?

Hello Everyone,

First, this is my first post. Thank you for investing the time to read it. I am a complete noob, so if I sound like a 'tard, please be patient.

I'm in the position of acquiring an Old Man Emu 3.5" kit on the cheap, but research has indicated that this kit is intended for WJs. Is it possible for this kit to work with my '91 XJ? If not, what sort of modifications would be needed? In your opinion, is it worth it? Currently working with 31"s.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sapper_D

Sapper_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #2
dillonreid
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I'm not 100 percent sure but I don't think it will because wjs use coils in the rear and plus the coils are larger on a zj so I think they would be larger on a wj as well
Unread 04-24-2012, 03:43 PM   #3
austin6137
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Won't work but you could buy for cheap and sell it for more and buy a lift for your xj
90 - xj laredo- 4.5" rough country lift, 6.5" of total lift with drop brackets, zj disc brakes on c8.25, olympic winch bumper, jcr upper and lower quarter armor, IRO hack-n-tap and rock sliders and rear bumper. rugged ridge 8500lb winch. Spartan locker up front. With a jd yellow paint job, 97+ front end and bushwacker cut out flares. 35's
austin6137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 04:03 PM   #4
dillonreid
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Or try and trade it. You never know what you can get on craigslist
Unread 04-25-2012, 08:38 AM   #5
Sapper_D
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Hey All,

Thank you for the input so far. This is the rig the kit is being sold from:

As you can see, it's an XJ. What if he's using heavy ZJ coils in the front? A friend's current theory is that it's an old, old ARB demo rig from like 10 years ago. Waiting on further pictures -- and build code -- to figure it out. More pictures to follow, if anyone's interested.

Just thought I'd follow up.

/D
Unread 04-25-2012, 08:58 AM   #6
dillonreid
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Well the front isn't the problem there. Zj and wjs are coils all around so unless the lift kit some how comes with leaf springs your going to have to make mounts and do some serious work to make the wj lift kit work
Unread 04-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #7
DerMeister
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Nice looking xj, but that doesnt look like 3.5" of lift to me.
DerMeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
Sapper_D
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Follow-Up Photos:

Yeah, I'm not entirely sure whether its modded to work or whether it isn't actually 3.5". As research indicates, and as you guys have pointed out -- the product doesn't exist.

Either way though, I think I'll go for it. Worst-case scenario, I'll sell it off.
Unread 04-25-2012, 11:56 AM   #9
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Looks like a 2.5" kit with 1" spacers (can't see if the coils have any but the leaf packs definitely do). It will work fine, but I'd avoid using blocks in the back and go with extended shackles or an extra leaf instead.

Cherokee Of The Month Winnar! - September 2012
PhilipJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
Sapper_D
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
Looks like a 2.5" kit with 1" spacers (can't see if the coils have any but the leaf packs definitely do). It will work fine, but I'd avoid using blocks in the back and go with extended shackles or an extra leaf instead.
Hey PhilipJ,

Thanks for the ID. As I mentioned, I'm a total noob so I barely understand what I am looking at. What you said made sense though. Why shackles over blocks though? Do you think this kit will have much flex to it?
Unread 04-25-2012, 12:58 PM   #11
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Blocks exacerbate axle wrap, because they act like a fulcrum. The further away the leaf is from the axle, the worse it is. Add-a-leafs or shackles don't cost very much, and blocks are just the absolute cheapest route with the most mechanical drawbacks.

It should flex okay for a 2.5" kit. It's possible that the coils could be for a ZJ lift as they net an extra inch when installed on an XJ, but check for a thick spacer on top to make sure.

Unread 04-25-2012, 01:15 PM   #12
Sapper_D
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilipJ View Post
Blocks exacerbate axle wrap, because they act like a fulcrum. The further away the leaf is from the axle, the worse it is. Add-a-leafs or shackles don't cost very much, and blocks are just the absolute cheapest route with the most mechanical drawbacks.

It should flex okay for a 2.5" kit. It's possible that the coils could be for a ZJ lift as they net an extra inch when installed on an XJ, but check for a thick spacer on top to make sure.
Good call. Do you have any recommendatons for shackles with this kit? I really appreciate the input.
Unread 04-25-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
dillonreid
1992 XJ Cherokee 

And before you put the leafs on make sure they have shims or smorething in between each leaf so keep the metal on metal contact down. Makes it less squeaky and possibly more flex
Unread 04-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #14
Sapper_D
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillonreid View Post
And before you put the leafs on make sure they have shims or smorething in between each leaf so keep the metal on metal contact down. Makes it less squeaky and possibly more flex
Thanks, man. Thats a good point. Do you have any recommndations for shimming material?
Unread 04-25-2012, 05:46 PM   #15
PhilipJ
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Shackles are all pretty much the same (straight or boomerang) though some are greasable and some aren't. Expect to pay around $80+ for a good name-brand set unless you find a good classifieds or ebay deal.

As for anti-friction pads, anything is better than nothing but Delrin works really well. If you can't find any, you can always cut your own out of sheets.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.