91 XJ, is my fuel pump bad? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 91 XJ, is my fuel pump bad?

Savvy Billet LED Tail LightsLight up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 08-14-2013, 07:42 PM   #1
Wiskey
1991 XJ Cherokee 

91 XJ, is my fuel pump bad?

I went out wheeling, got out there a few miles, shut the Jeep off and then when I went to fire it back up it would just crank, but not start.

Every now and again it would kick, rev up then die again.

I tried the Off,On,Off,On trick to get the pump to prime and nothing.

Then I pushed in the little button on the pressure test port and no fuel came out,..

I was under the impression that a check valve should keep the system pressurized even when off, is that correct?

I had my friend turn the jeep on while I had the button pushed in and I got fuel spraying out.

But it still wouldn't start.

I ended up messing around with it for a while, got it to run for 20 seconds then die.

Finally I crawled under the jeep and tapped the fuel pump with something metal and it fired right up.

I haven't had a problem since, but whatever the problem was I want to fix it of course.

Does this sound like a fuel pump? Or should I be looking elsewhere?
Should it stay pressurized even with the pump off? Or is that a wrong assumption?

Thank you,
Whiskey

Unread 08-15-2013, 05:01 AM   #2
XJaySC
1975 CJ5 

Usually, if something doesn't work until tapped on, I'll replace it for piece of mind. Though it does sound as that the fuel pump is the problem here.

Yes the check valve does hold pressure while running but the problem you described sounded like the pump not priming the system.
XJaySC is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 02:35 PM   #3
mayeni
1992 XJ Cherokee 

I'm just curious, how did you tap the fuel pump, when it is inside the fuel tank? I assume you tapped the external fuel filter???
mayeni is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
Wiskey
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayeni View Post
I'm just curious, how did you tap the fuel pump, when it is inside the fuel tank? I assume you tapped the external fuel filter???
You have a good point. I tapped where the fuel lines come out of the tank. I know that the fuel pump mounts to that bracket inside the tank so I figured it might help.

Whiskey
Unread 08-15-2013, 08:24 PM   #5
Wiskey
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I'm going to go ahead and order another pump, I wish I could be sure it was bad, but based on where I am when it could break I think it is good insurance.

Thanks everyone!
Whiskey
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:06 PM   #6
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Could be a fluke, but ive seen a bad crank position sensor cause similar issues like this. When mine went bad, id be out wheeling, it would run fine until i shut it off, then would not restart until the engine cooled down. But if you hit on the tank and it restarted, its a good indication the pump is going bad. Hard to say if it runs fine now.
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:21 PM   #7
Wiskey
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychoteen101 View Post
Could be a fluke, but ive seen a bad crank position sensor cause similar issues like this. When mine went bad, id be out wheeling, it would run fine until i shut it off, then would not restart until the engine cooled down. But if you hit on the tank and it restarted, its a good indication the pump is going bad. Hard to say if it runs fine now.
Thats the thing that kills me!
Did your CPS test okay if you weren't having trouble? Or was the resistance out of spec?

Thanks,
Whiskey
Unread 08-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
Wiskey
1991 XJ Cherokee 

BTW, who knew ordering a fuel pump would be so complex? I found a great kit that replaced the whole assembly, but when I researched the brand I couldn't find a single positive review reliability wise - everyone replaced them again 6 months later.

I ended up getting a Delphi which is supposed to be an OEM replacement and had great reviews.

I'd hate to have an issue again a few miles down the road. Of course then I had to order the screen and fuel filter separate, as well as the gasket. Hope I got the right ones.
Whiskey
Unread 08-17-2013, 09:35 AM   #9
psychoteen101
1996 XJ Cherokee 

My CPS was within spec when checking it cold. I think they just get heat soaked and intermittently fail. Only occurred while i was out wheeling. Jeep wouldnt run above 205, but it didnt seem to like restarting if i left it idling for a while. Once i replaced the CPS, it went away.

When my fuel pump went out, i bought a NAPA pump. Its been in there for a couple years. Ofcourse i only drive the jeep once a month since its strictly a trail rig, it seems to have been very relaible.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.