'91 Cherokee u-joint replacement - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 Old 03-20-2017, 03:11 PM Thread Starter
dragonflyxj
1991 XJ Cherokee 

'91 Cherokee u-joint replacement

New user here so I apologize if this is an easily researched question, I did a bit of youtubing with mixed answers.

Just bought a 91 Cherokee Laredo for a steal, paid $800 and all that is wrong with it is a few dime sized rust spots and the front and rear u-joints need replaced.

In the past I have done minor repairs but I have not done much of anything under the car such as u-joints.

Would this be something I could manage via a youtube video and some sweat equity?

The two shops I went two quoted me $850 and $1100 respectively and I do not have quite that much to put into it right now.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-20-2017, 05:33 PM
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents

2000 XJ Cherokee 

U-joints are pretty simple. As you are planning, watch a few YouTubes, I recommend watching EricTheCarGuy. A ball joint press works better than a big hammer or vise and large sockets. You can buy a ball joint press from Harbor Freight, or rent one from the local auto parts store. Take care that you don't squish or spread open the "ears" of the yoke, and if the u-joint cap won't press into place, one or more of the roller bearings has tipped over into the cap. The first one takes an hour or so, once you have done a few, it takes about 20-30 minutes.

Cheap u-joints don't last, buy Spicer u-joints. Consider buying an extra one just in case you booger up something.

A recent Gallup public opinion poll shows the NRA, at 58% approval, has a higher approval rating than either Hillary Clinton or Barack Obama.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ...

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
post #3 of 4 Old 03-20-2017, 05:45 PM
HEAP_of_JEEP
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Wow, that estimate is incredibly high for rear u joints. I'd really expect no more than a couple hundred bucks, TOPS. Are you sure is just the rear drive shaft u joints?

I've got a couple of videos up where I use the hammer/socket method, but Tim is quite correct that a press is much easier and safer. Less chance of damaging the ears. A simple ball joint press will work fine and you can rent them for free from most auto parts stores.

Check us out on Youtube

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 4 Old 03-21-2017, 05:20 AM
irishlt

Usually driveline shops charge about 200ish to rebuild the front drive shaft. And that's the more involved drive shaft with 3 joints aswell as a cardan joint thrown in. So unless they were quoting front/rear/axles(which seems strange that they'd all need replaced at the same time immediately)and even then those quotes seem high. If you decide against doing it yourself, I'd definitely wander away from the shops you visited. Unless there's more to the quote you were given.

Personally, I'd say u joints are a solid entry point into starting to do your own mechanical repairs. Pretty simple and straight forward. As long as you don't beat the ever living hell out of the yoke ears the worst case will be scraping a joint. And at 15-20$ for a 1310 spicer, there's not much risk financial wise.

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.