Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

'91 Brake Caliper Bolts?

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  asatxj 
#1 ·
What size are the Allen? bolts that hold on the caliper for a '91
i went to change my pads tonight since they look like potato skins.... and my haynes says an allen wrench/key is used to take off the bolts that hold on the caliper so i look and there is no place for an allen key to go into;... they look like multi ribbed sockets... are these allen sockets? like something i could buy to go on to my rachet..?

can anyone fill me in on what i need to take em off since im sure these are not too safe... i was gonna go look around at autozone but they were closed by the time i got there...

ps... when applied a c-clamp to the caliper... it really did not seem to "depress" them nor did i notice the fluid level in the res rise... this may sound stupid but is it possible to have done that wrong? i believe i did it correct.. flat end on the back and all... no clue what happined there...

so yea... bolt size and type would be great guys...

take care..

#2 ·
Not sure on the size, I had to use a vicegrip on them. If they are rusted, that may be your best bet as well.

#3 ·
bump.... but would a vice grip not allow me to tighten them down properly?

they are not rusted

#6 ·
depends on the birthday of your 91 most likely though you have regular hex head bolts. If you are CERTAIN they aren't Allen and they arent' hex then the are the reverse torx things which a 12point socket will remove nicely. If you have those things you can do as has been suggested and get the new Hex head ones. Much easier to deal with. If you do have the 12pt ones post a pic, I don't recall ever seeing them there, they do hold the hub to the knuckle though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.