91 anti lock brake to standard conversion - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 91 anti lock brake to standard conversion

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 02-20-2011, 09:44 PM   #1
91xjnostop

91 anti lock brake to standard conversion

I am looking for information on converting a 1991 Jeep Cherokee from ABS to standard/conventional braking system. Has anyone done this? Can it be done? Is it worth it? Any advice helps!

91xjnostop is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-20-2011, 09:52 PM   #2
the_weirdo
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Here's for 97+ ABS pump removal, not sure how 91 differs: http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...ight=abs*+pump
the_weirdo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 03:16 PM   #3
91xjnostop

thanx to all who replied . not to good at typing so i go slow. does anyone know if i will need to replace the pedal assembly, brake accuating rod if so which year will i need to retrieve these parts from?
Unread 02-21-2011, 03:22 PM   #4
jeeptorino68
1992 XJ Cherokee 

you shouldnt need to replace those pieces,

pull all ABS fuses, and relays.
change the master cylinder, and the hardlines. and you are all done.
i have done it once, there was nothing specific that i remember,
i got a brake line flaring kit, and cutter, and bender, to manipulate the lines, and remove what wasnt needed.
92 XJ 4.0 HO,AW4, NP242, 30" BFG AT, 1.75 spacer and ZJ coils, double cherokee leaf pack and 2 inch rough country shackles, 2.5 inch dnynomax exhaust, magnaflow cat, front hooks & rear hitch, gas skid, front skid, warn t-case skid, 99+ intake, bored TB

02 KJ Limited, 255 70 16s, front skid, LS/373 gears
jeeptorino68 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #5
91xjnostop

i may also mention that this 91 xj does not have a vaccume booster . the master cylinder is bolted directly to the firewall .so when the abs quit there is no assist . i have disabled the abs system and now the brakes are almost non excistant it is very scarry to drive
Unread 02-21-2011, 06:54 PM   #6
daurwid
1991 XJ Cherokee 

I yanked my 1991 xj abs brake system about a year ago now. Had a buddy of mine do the work. We ninja'd a manual system from a 1996 cherokee sport, cylinder, pump, etc.

If you are getting no brakes at all, imo there's more wrong with your system than you think.
daurwid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 07:01 PM   #7
daurwid
1991 XJ Cherokee 

Sorry to post again, but I forgot to mention one other thing. My buddy made it seem like making the new hard brake lines was the hardest part of the job. But it's worlds of difference going from ABS to standard. I had to take my ABS in for recall almost every 6-10 months for a complete rebuild and it would take 1-2 weeks. I got tired of it. Never given a free ride either to compensate, just a pain. So when I swapped my '91 engine for a '93, I had my buddy do the brakes at the same time.
daurwid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.