90 cherokee runs rough - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 90 cherokee runs rough

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 06-15-2008, 12:42 AM   #1
compfreak530
1988 XJ Cherokee 

90 XJ runs rough

I just got a 1990 jeep cherokee limited 4.0 and it runs really rough. when i drove it home it ran great, but the next day it ran like crap. i found the fuel filter was fully clogged and replaced that with only a little improvement in performance.at first i thought it was a clogged injector so i ran some chevron with techron fuel cleaner through it and nothing. iv checked all the vacuum hoses and they all appear in good shape. as a random boredom test i unplugged each injector while running and found that the front 2 changed nothing, when i unplugged the back 4 the engine almost died. what can i do to test the front 2 injectors? how many volts should be coming out of the injector plugs? it idle`s rough and acceleration is also just as rough. i did a compression test and found that all 6 cylinders were at 125-130 psi.

Last edited by compfreak530; 06-15-2008 at 06:02 PM..
compfreak530 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2008, 01:29 AM   #2
littleblackXj
1993 XJ Cherokee 

How long has its been since you replaced the spark plug, wires and distributor? I would start there.
littleblackXj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-15-2008, 01:38 AM   #3
compfreak530
1988 XJ Cherokee 

i just it last week, i checked the spark plugs and they all appear to be clean burning. the truck did sit for about a year before i got it. iv herd you guys talk about sea foam. should i try that?
Unread 06-15-2008, 02:03 AM   #4
littleblackXj
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I would. It costs about $10. Let your engine warm up and leave it running. Then pull off the intake tube and pour it directly into your throttle body. Just make sure to do it slowly and not let the jeep die. Then once you pour in about 1/3 of the bottle turn off the engine and let it sit for 5-10 minutes. Then when you start it up it will burn off all the carbon. Tack it up a bit for a few minutes then drive it around town like you stole it to burn off the carbon diposits.
It produces enough smoke to hide a tank, lol. I took a video of my jeep when i did it: http://youtube.com/watch?v=fwlgjOOl45E (back when it wasnt lifted ).
If you do kill it when pouring it into the throttle body, wait 5 minutes then start it up and then tack it up.
Unread 06-15-2008, 02:38 AM   #5
compfreak530
1988 XJ Cherokee 

when you say about 1/3 into the engine. do you mean in the oil. or gas. or both?
Unread 06-15-2008, 10:45 AM   #6
littleblackXj
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I mean pour 1/3 into the throttle body. Don't put it into your oil though. I would put the rest of the can into your gas tank.
Unread 06-15-2008, 04:33 PM   #7
compfreak530
1988 XJ Cherokee 

I did as you said and got white smoke. not as much as your jeep but still alot. it still idles rough and hesitates on acceleration. after about 3k rpm it smooths out, could it be a vacuum leak?

Last edited by compfreak530; 06-15-2008 at 05:38 PM..
Unread 06-17-2008, 01:34 AM   #8
littleblackXj
1993 XJ Cherokee 

I am not sure what it could be but ill bump your thread for you
Unread 06-17-2008, 07:14 AM   #9
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

How much gas was in it while it sat for a year? The gas more than likley went bad and you should go ahead and drop the tank and replace the fuel pump. Then run some seafoam in the gas to clean the fuel lines and injectors.

After that, I'd replace the plugs.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.