89 xj stereo wiring question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 89 xj stereo wiring question

JK Vent Covers - NalinMFGRing & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 11-21-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
SRH92YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

89 xj stereo wiring question

i have an 89 pioneer. just got a new head unit, amp, and a sub and box. nothing crazy just a little 10" in a ported box hooked up to 300w. now heres my scenario. got the wrong wiring harness. and after taking out the stock headunit someone previously cut all the wires to the stock harness and are all kind half *** wrapped together and rolled over with electric tape. would i be better off just wiring the pioneer wires right to the stock ones instead of waiting for the new harness. i figure they're all cut anyway and i could atleast make sure the wires are wrapped together good. the guy i got it from said the radio cut out here and there and i'm guessing this is why. if i did do that what do i do with the extra wires that aren't on the pioneer harness.

cherokee diagram
http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/...tail/1150.html

pioneer colors
http://www.fixya.com/support/t123899...des_deh_2400ub

mine doesn't have an illumination wire. so what would i do with the stock illumination, dimmer, and antenna trigger wires?

SRH92YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
Tru2Chevy

1992 XJ Cherokee 

Yes, unless you plan on swapping headunits often, I would just wire the headunit directly to the factory wiring. Any unused wires on either side should just be taped off and left there.

Good luck!

- Justin

1996 Cherokee Classic - 3.5" lift / 31.0x10.5 Mastercraft Courser CTs / Warn XD9000i - Stripped for parts / junked :(

2004 Grand Cherokee Laredo - 4.7, bone stock - Wife's DD

NJ F-Body Owners Association
Tru2Chevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 01:05 PM   #3
SRH92YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

thanks. what do i do with the ground that was screwed to the old headunit? i was gonna hook up the ground from the harness to the ground on the head unit harness just not sure what to do with the one that was screwed in.
Unread 11-21-2012, 07:07 PM   #4
SRH92YJ
1992 YJ Wrangler 

just noticed the black on the harness is the negative for one of the speakers so i'm guessing the ground that was screwed in needs to get hooked up to the ground on the head unit harness. almost there. got the amp all wired up just gotta hook up the h/u and hopefully i'll be good to go
Unread 11-21-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
GetLifted
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I had the same problem.

I installed these on the jeep harness and radio wires. Everything in pairs (except the ground that gets hardwired)

Recently I went with a new pioneer Bluetooth radio and it made the install a breeze.
GetLifted is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.