89 Laredo 4x4 Transmission Pump or Torque Converter? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 89 Laredo 4x4 Transmission Pump or Torque Converter?

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-01-2013, 08:32 PM   #1
Mudboi222
1989 XJ Cherokee 

89 Laredo 4x4 Transmission Pump or Torque Converter?

Sorry if this is the wrong section. I know this is a lot to read but im in need of help bad. I really need to get back on the road so i can drive to school and work instead of catching the bus everyday.

Hey guys my name is Richie, Its my first time making a post to these forums. Im 17 and just got my first 1989 Jeep Cherokee Laredo 4x4 from my uncle about 2 months ago. Ive always wanted a jeep and now i have one. Well the jeep has done me well till a few weeks ago. Me and my friends go trail riding and mudding all the time. This was probably the 6th weekend i took it mudding. Well one of my friends got stuck and i pulled his bronco out. He messed up his transmission because it was sitting in the puddle for so long so i had to pull him to the nearest gas station which was about 2-3 miles away. His bronco was really heavy so i had to put it in 4L and put it in 3rd gear and pulled him the whole way in the same gear because my TCU is messed up so i cant just throw it in D and go. Well i didn't notice any problems till the next day. My motor was shaking real bad and it turned out i messed up my motor mounts from pulling him or something. Well i didn't have the money at the time so i drove around for about 5 days with the motor mounts messed up and it shook like crazy. The same day i took my jeep to get the motor mounts fixed i started hearing this god alfull noise coming from the transmission area. Well i ignored the problem and went ahead and got my motor mounts fixed and i was hoping that the noise was because of the motor mounts but it wasn't. I got it back the next day and drove it home and it was doing the same exact noise and it was REALLY loud. I went home and called it a night. Well the next day i woke up early because i scheduled a appointment to get flow masters put on at a local muffler shop. On my way to the shop i almost got there and it started like revving up as if it was in neutral then going back into drive. It only did this about 3 times the whole way there. After i got the muffler put on i went to go back out of the shop and it would not move at all. I tried every gear including 4L & 4H. We couldn't get it to move at all so the guy told me to put it in reverse and just gas it as he pushes the jeep. As he was pushing it it kicked into reverse for about 2 seconds then it was completely threw. I had to call a tow truck and it get towed home. Well a few days pass and me and my dad decide to go mess with the jeep. We noticed that when your starting it up it also makes the noise as its turning over. When its started up it will continue to make the noise but if you rev it up it will slightly go away but you can still hear it. Now for the weird part that kinda gets me. When i put it in park it still makes the noise but if i get out and roll my jeep frontwards or backwards while its in park it will make a even louder grinding noise whenever you push it back and forth in park. Me and my dad dropped my transmission and as we were draining my fluid we were looking from dirty and burnt smelling fluid but its red as can be. The transmission and motor were rebuilt a few years ago and only has 5000 miles on both of them from what ive heard. It was my uncles backup/wood toys vehicle. We looked at the torque converter but we have no idea what we are looking for and every shop we call says to bring my transmission in but i just don't have the money right not to do that. Im really depending on some of you guys out there to help me out.

Mudboi222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Could it be the transfer case?, Have you checked that fluid? Driving it in 4lo like you did you could have burnt it out.
Had/have 6Jeeps/5Cherokees/4XJ's
79chiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #3
sAe23
1995 XJ Cherokee 

When you say "pushing it in Park", it's not actually MOVING is it??
If it does, I'd guess you trashed the transfer case and it's in neutral (or some broken condition equivalent to neutral) which would account for it not moving while in gear.
PART-TIME transfer cases (or 4LOW on a Full-time case) are not designed for on-road use.
sAe23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 12:39 AM   #4
Mudboi222
1989 XJ Cherokee 

No it dont roll in park but when its in park i push it till it stops pushing and it makes a louder grinding noise, i guess you could say when theres presure on the transmission it makes that noise but even louder. it constantly makes that noise. I never thought it could be the transfer case because it makes the noise in neutral and park. Does the transfer case spin in neutral and park?
Unread 04-02-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
79chiefs
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Yes(i think) it can still spin even if the transmission is in park, all it does it take the power from the transmission, and put it to the wheels, it can always move, the only thing that is not moving in park is the transmission.
Edit---If you have the trans out try to push the jeep with it in 4wd or 2wd, and see if it make the noise, if the transfer case is still in it.
Had/have 6Jeeps/5Cherokees/4XJ's
79chiefs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 12:01 PM   #6
BigBadWuf
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Try working the tcase thru the selections by hand with it out of the jeep, (2h, 4h, and 4lo), and spinning the input shaft and see if the output shafts spin or not.
BigBadWuf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-02-2013, 09:58 PM   #7
Mudboi222
1989 XJ Cherokee 

79chiefs, The transfer case comes out with the transmission so i cant do that, But i tried 4L in PRND31-2 and 4H the same way and it still made the noise and still didn't move at all.
BigBadWuf, Ill give that a shot tomorrow. By the "Input shaft" do you mean the shaft were the torque converter slides on to? If so i tried to spin it with my hand but couldn't.
Unread 04-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #8
BigBadWuf
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudboi222 View Post
79chiefs, The transfer case comes out with the transmission so i cant do that, But i tried 4L in PRND31-2 and 4H the same way and it still made the noise and still didn't move at all.
BigBadWuf, Ill give that a shot tomorrow. By the "Input shaft" do you mean the shaft were the torque converter slides on to? If so i tried to spin it with my hand but couldn't.
No you have to unbolt the transfercase from the transmission and spin that shaft, then if its in 2h only the rear output will spin, if its in 4h or 4l both outputs will spin. Then if that is the case you will know for sure what it is (either the trans or transfercase) I do not know of anyway to test an automatic transmission without exspensive special equipment, i dont think you can spin it by hand to test the trans.
Unread 04-03-2013, 02:36 AM   #9
Mudboi222
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Okay ill unbolt it tomorrow then because i need to put a new gasket on it anyways if its good. Good thing is that if it is my transfer case my uncle the guy i bought the jeep from has a backup transfer case for this jeep. But if its not the transfer case ill go towards the torque converter & from what ive heard you cant spin the transmission spline thing with your hand. But thanks so much BigBadWuf ill keep you updated on what i do and how it turns out. Thanks buddy.
Unread 04-03-2013, 03:28 PM   #10
Mudboi222
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Ok i got out there and messed around with the transfer case. I didn't unbolt it but i went through the gears and they seemed ok from what i could tell. I put the transfer case in N and both spun free but when i put in 4L or 4H i tried as hard as i could and couldn't spin the front or back. But when i put it in 2H the back shaft i couldn't spin it but the front shaft i could spin it. Is it supposed to be hard to turn?

EDIT: Nevermind it does spin i had the transmission in park. Also before we pulled the transmission out it grinded in any gear PRND31-2 and also grinds before the engine is even running. When i go to start the jeep it takes a minute to start so it sits there and turns over and as its turning over i can hear the noise :/

Last edited by Mudboi222; 04-03-2013 at 04:06 PM..
Unread 04-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #11
BigBadWuf
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudboi222 View Post
Ok i got out there and messed around with the transfer case. I didn't unbolt it but i went through the gears and they seemed ok from what i could tell. I put the transfer case in N and both spun free but when i put in 4L or 4H i tried as hard as i could and couldn't spin the front or back. But when i put it in 2H the back shaft i couldn't spin it but the front shaft i could spin it. Is it supposed to be hard to turn?

EDIT: Nevermind it does spin i had the transmission in park. Also before we pulled the transmission out it grinded in any gear PRND31-2 and also grinds before the engine is even running. When i go to start the jeep it takes a minute to start so it sits there and turns over and as its turning over i can hear the noise :/
Unfortanatly it sounds like a bad torque converter to me. What did the flexplate look like? If thats cracked or broken it would grind, but i dont think that would make it not move in gear, it just wouldnt start. It really sounds like the torque converter or the pump maybe tho, and if that is the case i would reccomend getting a junkyard trans because even if you replace the torque converter, you will still have all those metal shavings in the trans. But i would check the flexplate first just in case it is that because they arent very exspensive.

Edit. Reread your first post again could you describe the "noise" Was it a whirring at first when it still drove, and when it started grinding it wouldnt move?

Last edited by BigBadWuf; 04-04-2013 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: Add info
Unread 04-04-2013, 02:32 PM   #12
Mudboi222
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBadWuf View Post
Unfortanatly it sounds like a bad torque converter to me. What did the flexplate look like? If thats cracked or broken it would grind, but i dont think that would make it not move in gear, it just wouldnt start. It really sounds like the torque converter or the pump maybe tho, and if that is the case i would reccomend getting a junkyard trans because even if you replace the torque converter, you will still have all those metal shavings in the trans. But i would check the flexplate first just in case it is that because they arent very exspensive.

Edit. Reread your first post again could you describe the "noise" Was it a whirring at first when it still drove, and when it started grinding it wouldnt move?
We've been thinking its the torque converter or the pump. The reason i made this thread was because we wasnt sure which one it was. My flexplate looks perfectly fine just a little dirty but most likely we are probably just gonna go grab another transmission. From what i can tell with the torque converter theres no metal shavings where the bearings are on the outside but like my dad is saying we might aswell replace it all while its out. The noise was constant, it didnt stop till the jeep was turned off. I could rev it as high as i wanted and could still hear it.
Unread 04-04-2013, 08:21 PM   #13
BigBadWuf
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Well the fact that its makes the noise in all gears including park and neutral means its the torque converter assembely. And yes you wont be able to see metal shavings because they have circulated around in the transmission, and are hidden in all those little passages, and parts inside, i just dont want you to waste money and time putting in a torque converter, and have the trans burn up in no time.
Unread 04-05-2013, 02:48 AM   #14
Mudboi222
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Yeah im glad you know were im coming from man. My dad said the exact same thing, Would be best to just change it all while its out and same time and money. Thats probably what i will end up doing because like you said the shaving could be in my transmission if thats the case. Thanks for the help though everyone ill keep y'all updated if i find out anything else.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.