89 Cherokee won't start? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 89 Cherokee won't start?

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!50 in light bar /A pillar mount less than 500 at JeepHut.c

Unread 03-01-2008, 07:31 PM   #1
parrisjr

89 Cherokee won't start?

I am getting good spark but no gas. After trying and trying the plugs are not wet even the slightest. I can hear the fuel pump running and I have removed the fuel line from the fuel rail and verified gas. If the pump is weak will the lack of pressure keep gas from getting to the cylinders? HELP!!!

parrisjr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2008, 08:10 PM   #2
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

Which engine?

Never mind. If it has a rail, I suppose it has to be a 4.0L.

A bad fuel pressure regulator can cause the same problem as a bad pump. So could a clogged fuel filter. Checking the fuel pressure would be a good idea.
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2008, 08:20 PM   #3
parrisjr

Yes it is a 4.0. The fuel pump is also very loud but has been for some time. This problem has gradually been getting worse. Today I was able to get it to crank for a few seconds by trying several times and hold the gas pedal to the floor.
Unread 03-02-2008, 07:04 AM   #4
tjwalker
It's the crank sensor!

1999 XJ Cherokee 

A fuel delivery problem of some sort seems most probable. Pump is certainly suspect here especially if it's been loud. I agree with recommendation for testing. Put a fuel pressure gauge on the schrader valve on the fuel rail. If you don't own this equipment, you can rent from many of the bigger parts store. Compare to spec. Change fuel filter if not already done so. Good luck and post back what you find!
tjwalker is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-02-2008, 07:39 AM   #5
parrisjr

Thanks, I will try the pressure check tomorrow if I can. Does anyone know if it takes a certain amount of pressure to get gas through the injector? Just not really sure how injectors work. The electrical connection to the injector does what? Does it regulate some sort of opening?

Thanks for all the help!
Unread 03-05-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
parrisjr

Okay. I brought home a pressure tester today and connected it to the fuel rail. The pressure is 37-39 lbs. That is right on according to the technical manual. Still no crankie! Anybody know where I should check next?

HELP
Unread 03-05-2008, 05:55 PM   #7
tangofox007
Web Wheeler

What is the history of this problem? Was the engine running fine, then one day refused to start?
tangofox007 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2008, 03:09 PM   #8
parrisjr

I have noticed over the past several months that sometimes in the morning it would act funny while cranking like it was firing before the piston would get to the top. Meaning it wasn't smouth during the startup. This only happened a few times. But to answer your question yes....I drove it to work one day drove it home that night and when I went back outside the next morning it would not crank. It has started one time for a few seconds while my wife was helping me. She held the throttle to the floor while turning it over and it fired but shut down again. The last couple of afternoons when I get home I have tried it and it sounds as though that it is trying to crank but doesn't have enough gas in the cylinders to fire up and run.
Unread 03-06-2008, 04:14 PM   #9
cobra
1987 XJ Cherokee 

clogged fuel filter or a bad fuel pump relay, not sure about the jeep but thats what my ranger was doing until i replaced relay, also check for loose ground somewhere between relay and pump
cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2008, 04:54 PM   #10
parrisjr

I have bypassed the fuel filter and can hear the pump running and pumping up to pressure everytime the key is turned on?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.