89 Cherokee shifting issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 89 Cherokee shifting issues

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15Ē/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #1
maddogdoyle
1989 XJ Cherokee 

89 Cherokee shifting issues

I just bought an 89 yesterday. The previous owner purchased it new and has taken good care of it. He told me that after driving about 100 miles at a time it gets stuck in gear. I haven't experienced this yet but would like to fix it before I do. 5 speed manual. I don't know yet which transmission it has in it. It has 131k miles and 4.0L engine. Any ideas? Thanks.

Last edited by maddogdoyle; 01-09-2012 at 01:59 PM..
maddogdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2012, 07:39 PM   #2
Lifesgoodhere

Its the Peugeot tranny BA/10. Mine blew up 2 years ago. put in a Ax-15.

drain the fluid, fill with a light weight oil (5w-20 works good) Jack up the back, chock the front wheels. run through all the gears several times. ~1500 rpm is all you want in 5th gear. Do this for about 5 minutes (running through gears) Drain. Refill with correct fluid (forgot exactly what weight).

What it sounds like is that there is something getting in the syncros. doing the above will give it a good cleaning.
*The Homestretch ---- Finishing the Hammer. It's on!!
Lifesgoodhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
maddogdoyle
1989 XJ Cherokee 

It appears it may be the hydraulics in the clutch. It was a low on fluid and adding some helped a little. Wanted to bleed it but the bleeder valve is rusted. For this POS trans the slave is inside so if I can't bust it loose I guess I'll try to find an AX-15 and replace it.
maddogdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-12-2012, 04:54 PM   #4
Lifesgoodhere

to get the bleeder screw loose.

50/50 mix of acetone, and Dextron III. put some in a squirt bottle and have at it.

on the actually breaking it loose. use a flare wrench first of all, and I also like using a pair of vise grips on the line for the screw, just to keep from snapping it inside the bell housing.
*The Homestretch ---- Finishing the Hammer. It's on!!
Lifesgoodhere is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot , shifting , transmission

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.