89 cherokee!! HOW DO I get the alternator out???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 89 cherokee!! HOW DO I get the alternator out????

8.8 Swap Kit w/ TRUSS for JeepsPoison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!

Unread 03-13-2003, 01:56 PM   #1
cherokeeorley

89 cherokee!! HOW DO I get the alternator out????

I am having a problem finding the right bolt to lossen, or place to remove my belt. I can't figure out how to loosen the belt! This is a 4.0 1989 cherokee Larado.
My 93 cherokee has a small wheel next to the thermostate houseing(that lossens it), but this one I can't figure out. Also will I need to pull the radiator, or anything else to get to it. I know this is something simple, but I have not had much time to fuge with it.

Thanks for any helpful comments:

Mike Orley. [COLOR=darkred]93 Cherokee[/COLOR] [B]5"lift [/B] 32"AT tires,Outlaw 15" rims. [COLOR=navy]Flowmasters[/COLOR], t-bar, quick disconects, [COLOR=darkred]clear[COLOR=darkred] euro-rear taillights[/COLOR][/COLOR], clear corner f-markers, brush gd. transmission lowering kit, [COLOR=darkred]shaved fender[/COLOR], [FONT=lucida console]all the goodies[/FONT]
cherokeeorley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2003, 02:48 PM   #2
MJR

The power steering pump needs to be loosened. There is one 13mm pivot bolt at the top front, one 13mm nut under in the front (adjuster lock nut), two 13mm in back of the pump, and then loosen the adjuster bolt on the driverside also a 13mm. Its a little easier with the aux fan out. That will loosen the belt. Then the alt comes out from underneath with 10, 13, 14, 15mm bolts/nuts. You have to loosen the stamped steel bracket to make it easier to get out. I would disconnect the battery before you pull the alt just to be safe.

Last edited by MJR; 03-13-2003 at 03:56 PM..
MJR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2003, 11:11 PM   #3
ChrisinVA

Ditto. Couldn't have said it better myself.
ChrisinVA is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.