89 cherokee fuel pump failing? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 89 cherokee fuel pump failing?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Ruffstuff 3 Link Kit!The Ruffstuff Optima Battery Box!

Unread 10-27-2009, 11:42 AM   #1
LadyLuck26
1989 XJ Cherokee 

89 cherokee fuel pump failing?

Hi guys, So i'm not the most mechanic smartsy here, but I know enough to get me by, so forgive me for any errors. I have an 89 Jeep cherokee 4.0 inline 6cyl, with an 97 wrangler XJ engine in it. Last couple days my i've noticed my jeep has been having problems starting. The engine will crank but it will not turn over all the way and start up. My dad is usually my mechanic here but i'm trying troubleshoot this on my own here so from what I know. I know what my fuel pump sounds like when I turn the key into the "on" position. I've noticed that every time my Jeep doesnt start its because the Fuel Pump isn't "whirring" its normal length of duration. It will stop short, or not at all a couple times. If i wait for about 15-30 seconds between turning the key to the on position after turning it off, the fuel pump will sound its normal duration. I have done some research on here and know some tests I can do as far as checking the rail line and seeing the pressure in it. Although I was just wondering if someone could possibly narrow it down from what little i gave you. I know its not much but I will add more as I get new information. Thank you to all and anyone that replies. I appreciate your time and help

LadyLuck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-27-2009, 01:49 PM   #2
600dollarXJ

I had issues on my 89 with what I thought was the fuel pump. It turned out to be a bad connection in the plug. The connector had rusted together and I couldn't pull it apart, but it wasn't giving a good ground to the pump. I spliced the wires and everything worked perfect after that.

Before trying to remove the pump from the tank I would definitely run power to the pump directly and make sure that it really is dead. Banging around all those metal pieces with the open gas tank was definitely nerve racking for me.

I think the Haynes manual had a good trouble shooting section for the fuel pump.
Unread 10-27-2009, 03:37 PM   #3
jdest001
1998 XJ Cherokee 

Also check the fuel pump relay I had a similar problem with mine and the relay was sticking sometimes. Its like a $10 part worth looking into.
jdest001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.