89 Cherokee Electrical Issue - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 89 Cherokee Electrical Issue

Spiderwebshade @ JeepHut.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail Lights

Unread 09-16-2010, 03:12 PM   #1
tball32
1989 XJ Cherokee 

89 Cherokee Electrical Issue

Looking for some suggestions on finding a the problem with my cherokee's wiring. I was driving to work early one morning and my jeep just shut down engine stoped and the dash went dark. The headlights still worked but radio and such were dead. Clutched and coasted for a while and popped it and rolled the engine but no fire, coasted a while longer clutched and she fired up dash came back on and away we go. Two days later the electric cooling fan stoped workin it was a broken wire so that was repaired everything working again. Then another two days later pulling down the drive to work the jeep died again dash went blank and its never fired again. Something must have shorted because it fryed one of the fuseable links to one of the main red power wires by the battery, Repaired that but was not the whole problem. Any suggestions on were else to look for a problem or any possible solutions that any one can think of.

tball32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2010, 04:21 PM   #2
talentjeep
1987 XJ Cherokee 

freshen all of your grounds.

what's the condition of your fusebox? under the dash.

have your battery and alternator tested.
Unread 09-17-2010, 03:58 PM   #3
tball32
1989 XJ Cherokee 

i am working on tracking down the all the grounds, fuse box looks pretty good under the dash and it didnt blow any of the fuses during this process. The battery is good and the alternater as charging good right before this all happened thanks for the ideas I get all the grounds tracked down and im not sure where to look next.
tball32 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 04:43 PM   #4
jk4x4
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Check the main wire harness plug on the firewall unplug clean and reconnect it. I would check your crank sensor also.
jk4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-17-2010, 06:28 PM   #5
talentjeep
1987 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jk4x4 View Post
Check the main wire harness plug on the firewall unplug clean and reconnect it. I would check your crank sensor also.
Quote:
Originally Posted by balloo93 View Post
C101

Disconnect the battery and just be careful. I have read about people hard-wiring the connections to get away from the plug as mentioned in this JPmagazine article:
C-101
For once, we aren't talking about Trasborg's pile of Jeepsters. We've hit on this one before in these pages, but it is worth covering again. The '87, '88, and some of the '89 model years had this wonderful connector, called the C-101 connector. It connected all the wiring from the inside of the Jeep to the wiring outside of the Jeep. The problem is, it is over 20 years old and is mounted right at the top of the firewall where all the water cascading off of a newly-opened hood can go. If all that wasn't enough to prove a point, there is a TSB from Jeep way back in '89 that provided a crankshaft sensor bypass kit and instructions to get around the C-101 connector and keep the Jeep running. Most of the '89 models, and all of the '90 models didn't even have the C-101, they just went to a rubber grommet passing the wires through the firewall.

Prevention: You can build a rain shield for it, or just be aware of it when you open the hood. Periodic disassembly, cleaning, dielectric-greasing, and reassembly also help the issues.

Cure: Get rid of it. Solder all the wires from the inside of the Jeep to the corresponding wires from the outside of the Jeep and heatshrink it. All the issues will be gone forever. The risk is if you cross wires just once you can fry stuff pretty easily.
from another thread. helped with some of my past issues as well.
Unread 10-14-2012, 07:35 PM   #6
styxmalone
1989 XJ Cherokee 

Have you checked the fusable links by the battery
styxmalone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
cherokee won't start , wiriing harness , wiring , wiring harness melted

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.