89 Cherokee body on a Blazer frame???? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 89 Cherokee body on a Blazer frame????

Jeep Wrangler Wheel Bearing & Hub - FrontJeep Grand Cherokee Window RegulatorComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 07-03-2007, 10:00 PM   #1
Airborne4X4
1948 CJ2A 

89 Cherokee body on a Blazer frame????

I'm not crazy enough to try it, but one of my co-workers is! Has anyone here seen this done? This guy is sure he can do it. I have offer my help for two reasons. First, he's a friend. Secondly, I want to see how it's done.

If anybody has any tips for this kind of operation, please let me know. This project looks to start in a few weeks.

Thanks Guys,
J

Unread 07-03-2007, 10:03 PM   #2
Dragnz24

one question

WHY?

http://www.gulchesorvpark.com/
Dragnz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2007, 10:25 PM   #3
dopod
1996 XJ Cherokee 

It will be pretty hard considering xj is a uniframe. Also, WHY???
dopod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2007, 10:26 PM   #4
XmuthJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

if the XJ HAD a body to put on a frame i guess.

seeing how the body IS the frame, he'll have two frames for no reason.

complete waste of money and time.
Originally Posted by FrumpD63
Had I bought that lil mazda I was looking at, they wouldnt have found my body until the spring.
XmuthJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2007, 10:33 PM   #5
Airborne4X4
1948 CJ2A 

Oh, I don't doubt it's going to be a complete nightmare. What I guess he's thinking is that the blazer's axles and drive train and whatever else is far superior to that 2.8lt V6, Puegot Tranny, and D35 that's in the Cherokee. I have virtually no experience with either the older blazers or the Cherokee. I understand the unibody issue. Like I said. I think it's crazy. But, I've seen plenty of other "Freak" 4x4s and some have looked.....um....OK. I guess.
Unread 07-03-2007, 10:40 PM   #6
Airborne4X4
1948 CJ2A 

If you were him, what route would you take? Given you only have a Chevy and a Cherokee to work with. He's fairly set on doing this, but I think I could steer him a bit with some sage advice from you all.

Thanks,
J
Unread 07-03-2007, 11:14 PM   #7
XmuthJ
1998 XJ Cherokee 

oh so he's gonna just swap in a new drivetrain?
Originally Posted by FrumpD63
Had I bought that lil mazda I was looking at, they wouldnt have found my body until the spring.
XmuthJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2007, 11:36 PM   #8
NinjaofDoom
1990 XJ Cherokee 

ive seen this done before they put the unibody frame onto the blazer frame. pretty pointless
Unread 07-04-2007, 12:17 AM   #9
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Ok I hate to admit it but being a redneck I have both seen operations like this and even help in a few. This is not much different than mounting Camro or mustang body's on CJ,YJ or yes even TJ frames. The first bit of advice is to run like he77 and don't look back.
Hmmm, still here you must be either a redneck or a nut! well lets move on to my next tidbit. It is time to measure everything does the blazer and the XJ have the same wheelbase are they at least close? If not can the fenders be trimmed enough to center the blazers wheels into the Jeeps wheel wells? If so no biggie if not the XJ will have to be stretched or shortend or the blazer frame streched or shortened. Next how does the Jeeps uni-frame line up to the blazers frame and body mounts. Measurements need to be taken before you tear down or cut anything. To my experience some of the blazers body mounts will have to be moved as well as building new mounts on the XJs body. So take the body mount measurements on the blazer and map out where they will fall on the Jeep. Once you know if the mounts will fall either on the Jeeps uni-frame (likely) or to the inside (unlikely) or the outside (possible) post back and let us know and we can go from there. BTW, if you are talking about the s-10 blazer and I think you are it has IFS with t-bar springs not the best set up for rock crawling or lifting.

Chris
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$

Last edited by kg4kzv; 07-04-2007 at 12:30 AM..
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2007, 12:20 AM   #10
XJK
The Guru of Nothing

1999 XJ Cherokee 

seems very pointless to me, why does he want to do this so bad. if its because of the stability of the uniframe then tell him to get some stiffiners and call it good. not worth tearing both vehicals apart. my

-Kyle
XJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2007, 12:23 AM   #11
wojtizzlator
1987 XJ Cherokee 

tell him ill weld him someting for the unibody and then he can give me the blazer ill sell the blazer and buy me tires! other then that its pointless and he should modify one or the other ( i would do the xj independent suspension isnt so good) man thats a lot of work too!

"who needs paved roads when u have a jeep"

87 xj 6" long arm lift, 35's, 4.88 yukon gears, front detroit true trac

colorado jeep club member # 74
wojtizzlator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2007, 04:00 AM   #12
HiMiles91XJ

My Blazer is a lot longer than my jeeps, I don't see how the body is going to sit right on that frame. There's so much stuff you can do with either the jeep or blazer, what's the point of trying to combine them?
HiMiles91XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2007, 08:53 AM   #13
Airborne4X4
1948 CJ2A 

I believe the blazer is pre-S-10, if you get my meaning.

I'll see if I can direct him toward a better plan.

I guessing the better option is to utilize the drive train (Motor, tranny, transfer case, axles, etc.) from the Blazer in this build?

The Blazer has the shifter on the steering column and the XJs Auto is on the floor, what's the best way of dealing with this?
Unread 07-04-2007, 09:08 AM   #14
balloo93
Little Red Menace

1993 XJ Cherokee 

I say go for it!

Take plenty of measurements. If the XJ's unibody will fit into the frame of the chebbie then that will just necessitate bushings and renforcement of the spots where the body will need to be drilled and the bolts to the frame.

If the unibody mounts on top of the frame, then I woudl say take it a different direction. I'd say cut a section of the unibody out and replace it with Angle iron inside where the unibody was. That would allow the body to sit on top of the frame and provide a little side to side support.

He will more than likely need to fab the linkages for just about everything. If this is a trail rig only then go for it, but a street legal conversion....no way.

Specs in Profile.

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/325707/1
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2406854/1
balloo93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-04-2007, 11:20 AM   #15
kg4kzv
1995 XJ Cherokee 

Here are a few numbers to think about. K-5 Blazer WB 106.5" TW 65.75". 1st gen S Blazer WB 4dr 107" 2dr 100.5" TW I could not easily find but is close to the XJ I think. XJ WB 101.4" TW 58". A K-5 blazer or 4dr S Blazer would be a nightmare to make look right. The 2dr S Blazer would be best.

The shifter is the least of problems linkage can be made to make the floor shifter work.

Chris
I-ROK reinforcement kit, ORO U-TURN steering kit,Conversion Headlights/Silverstars And too much $$$
kg4kzv is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.