89 Cherokee 4.0 severe power loss & backfire! - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 89 Cherokee 4.0 severe power loss & backfire!

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRubicon Express Suspensions from CCOR 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955

Unread 04-26-2010, 11:52 PM   #16
talentjeep
1987 XJ Cherokee 

i believe the Renix system doesn't engage fully until 300 RPM to prevent dry starts. computer was designed by an aircraft manufacturer so they wanted to prevent damage to the engine.

once you get the hang of it you can let off the key half a second before it fires and save a few starter turns. almost an art form in an of itself.

thanks for posting the fix! many people just run off and forget about us XJ lovers and leave us wondering what happened.

Unread 06-05-2014, 10:08 AM   #17
Jeep93cherokee
1993 XJ Cherokee 

Good idle but no power or acceleration

Hey guys big issue even the mechanics an my self are clueless an can't figure it out but here's the problem has good idle an once you accelerate it throws a fit back fires an has no power I changed the cap,rotor,wires,plugs that didn't fix it so I put a fuel filter on it still didn't fix it so my boss came over an we tried to pull codes an nothing so he said start it up so I did an he unplugged the crank shaft sensor an bam!! It ran like a champ for 2 days while we ordered a new one but when I put the new one in it still didn't fix it so he said it had to be the computer so I replaced that still nothing an it has no vacuum leaks cleaned all the grounds an still nothing tried to reset the computer runs good for 5 seconds an does the same things anyone have a idea or hint to throw out this things got me confused to no end
Jeep93cherokee is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.