88 XJ Steering and Brake Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 88 XJ Steering and Brake Issues

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Aluminum BumpersThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!

Unread 02-20-2013, 01:53 PM   #1
jdthejeepman
1988 XJ Cherokee 

88 XJ Steering and Brake Issues

So I bought my first cherokee, an 88 xj with 284k miles on craigslist, and surprise surprise, shes not perfect. My issues are some very "easy" steering, and the brake pedal needs to be SLAMMED to even slow to a stop.

First, the steering. When i say the steering is easy I dont really know a better way to put it. I've really got to move the wheel to making corrections, but when turning its not too bad. Steering box adjustment or replace? The tie rod that was on it was bent to hell and back so I replaced the tie rod, drag link and steering stabilizer with a setup off of a 318 v8 grand cherokee. Also the u-joint and ball joints on the drivers side front need replacing if that would factor in at all.

Second, the brakes. What good is a jeep that doesnt stop? I've bought new brake shoes and hardware for the rear drums and plan on bleeding the brakes, thats going to be my weekend job. I'm hoping this will help, but I'm open to each and every suggestion you XJ vets have on this. For all I know thats normal, lol.

Also, The engine has a knock in cylinder 6. Previous owner said it was a broken wrist pin, but if thats the case wouldnt that pretty much have destroyed the engine by now?

Lokking forward to any and all input!

jdthejeepman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
miceanic
1990 XJ Cherokee 

Look up brake booster upgrade, The factory one is a single diaphragm up to 95 or 96 when they made it dual. Replaced mine with one from a 96. $40 at the junkyard and some new line. Best upgrade I've done yet. You can get them from various jeeps which require slight modification for proper fit.
miceanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2013, 03:25 PM   #3
jdthejeepman
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by miceanic View Post
Look up brake booster upgrade, The factory one is a single diaphragm up to 95 or 96 when they made it dual. Replaced mine with one from a 96. $40 at the junkyard and some new line. Best upgrade I've done yet. You can get them from various jeeps which require slight modification for proper fit.
That sounds like a great upgrade. I'll put that on the list for my next trip to the parts yard. Thank you much for the post
jdthejeepman is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.