88 XJ overheating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 88 XJ overheating

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 05-13-2007, 01:40 PM   #1
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

88 XJ overheating

My Xj has been overheating and i want to be sure of what the problem is before i start throwing money and parts at it. It overheats very slowly, even at freeway speeds it will overheat.When stopped at a light, if you rev the engine, this seems to make it go slightly cooler. Its had a new thermostat and new coolant tank and cap put in, as well as the coolant changed, and it still does it, however not as bad as before. I dont want to put in a new water pump and find out that it was the rad that was the problem, or vice versa. any help? also, both fans are working

Mazdarx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
captain_ruggy
1994 XJ Cherokee 

Could be several different things. Does the electric fan come on at all? Make sure that works. And it could very well be the water pump. I have heard of the vanes inside rotting off and the pump doesnt leak, but it won't push the water like it should. Maybe a blockage in the radiator.
Aux. fan switch, homemade BPE's
moved intake, OEM towhooks
Rear disc brakes, JKS disco's
captain_ruggy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2007, 02:56 PM   #3
kencaz

Check the clutch on the fan while the engine is off and hot. It should have good resistance when you try and rotate it. If not it may time to replace it.

Try turning the heater on while driving and see if that cools it down a bit. If so then maybe coolent flow is being restricted and you need a flush.

I would also pressure wash the radiator fins and make sure air is flowing through them properly.

Good Luck

KC

"I say we dust-off and nuke the site from orbit... It's the only way to be sure!"
kencaz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-13-2007, 06:16 PM   #4
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

Does it have to be hot to check the clutch? Im not driving it right now cause of the overheating? I checked it just now, it was cold though, and it felt like there was a fair amount of resistance. The electric fan also works
Unread 05-13-2007, 07:03 PM   #5
mikepatrick
1981 CJ7 

I had the same problem with my 88. I chased the problem and fought the plastic tank war until I finally broke down and converted the system to a conventional open system with a new radiator. Once I did this all of my cooling problems went away. Well worth the money.
mikepatrick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2007, 03:21 PM   #6
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

If i planned to keep it for a while i might do this, however, i am going to sell it as soon as i get it fixed, so i just want to spend as little as possible on it. Im selling it so i can put a new engine in my YJ
Unread 05-14-2007, 05:01 PM   #7
Cherokeekid88
1997 XJ Cherokee 

I also have an 88 and i have had my share of cooling problems. When water pumps go bad, cant you usually hear them? Are you loosing any coolant? any spots when you get into your car in the morning? but i think it sounds like your aux fan isnt kicking on.
Bilstein 5100's - Magnaflow Exhaust.
Cherokeekid88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2007, 05:03 PM   #8
XJLI
1993 XJ Cherokee 

if your cooling system is properly working, you dont need an aux fan under normal driving conditions.

XJLI is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-14-2007, 10:41 PM   #9
Mazdarx
1991 YJ Wrangler 

it was for a little while making a noise that sounded like a belt slipping, but it has been parked for a bit, and when i started it up the other day the sound was gone, so that is possible. the coolant in the tank looks mostly green, but at the bottom of the tank it looks kinda brown, so maybe thats a problem?
Unread 05-14-2007, 10:57 PM   #10
jv3kxj

FWIW XJ's are notorious for overheating, the stock cooling system is barely adequate when new. So, you are probably looking at replacing most (if not all of) the cooling system to keep things cool. I replaced all of mine and eventually went to a 180* t-stat which made a bigger difference than everything else combined. I read a lot about gas mileage dropping with the lower temp t-stat, but that hasn't been the case so far(about 1.5 yrs now) the only side from the 180* t-stat is that my cherokee doesn't overheat anymore.
Unread 05-14-2007, 11:06 PM   #11
TwoOne
1999 WJ 

Sounds like you're losing pressure in your closed system to me, I was having the same problems with mine and it was that stupid coolant tank, I know you said you replaced it and the cap but are you sure that the cap is on nice and tight? Are you seeing any boil out anywhere or any leaks at all? If it is getting that hot truly then you would see some type of boil out or something somewhere. I would also look into maybe replacing your temp sending unit to make sure that it is properly functioning. I just went to pick n pull and grabbed all the parts i needed to swap to an open system, since it was over new years they were having a 50% off sale and I did the entire swap for around $80.
Unread 05-16-2007, 02:34 AM   #12
ganoze
1994 XJ Cherokee 

replace the radiator and backflush the heater core, if your coolant was or is rusty. the sediment has most likely collected and clog the rad.
ganoze is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.