88 overheating problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > 88 overheating problem

Ledlight bar light locks @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 12-24-2010, 12:44 PM   #1
mannyawwad
2002 KL Cherokee 

88 overheating problem

i have an 88 xj and it was overheating, i changed the thermostat and the water pump and then it worked good for about a month but then it started overheating again, please helppppppp

mannyawwad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-24-2010, 02:42 PM   #2
xjfever
Web Wheeler

1995 XJ Cherokee 

Did you flush the cooling system? Did you remove all the air from the system? And are you using a 50/50 mix of anti-freeze and distilled water? Just some thoughts I had. I would also make sure the cap and bottle are sealing correctly. And when does it overheat, at idle/in traffic, or at highway speeds, or all of the above? The fan clutch is suspect if it overheats at slow speeds in traffic or at idle, and the electric fan should come on around 215* or so, and anytime the AC/defrost is selected.
  1. '95 XJ country edition, 4" coils/3/4" spacers, HD leafs with extra main added in, Ironman adjustable control arms, rough country shackles, aussie locker, JK rubicon shocks, 35" mudder's, soft 8's, cobra cb
  2. Sold'99 WJ limited, 4.7L, 3" IRO lift. Bilstein shocks, JK rubicon wheels, 255/70/17's, carolina driveshaft, IRO adjustable control arms, IRO adjustable A-arm
  3. Sold '00 TJ, 4" lift, rusty's adjustable control arms, skyjacker shocks, rock krawler adj. trac-bar,rugged ridge SYE and RE driveshaft, soft 8's, 35" mud king xt's,XJ HP D30 w/aussie locker, 4:88 yukon gears, hella 500's, rock crusher diff covers
4. 04 Dodge ram 1500 quadcab, yes, it has a hemi.
5. '08 BMW X3, Mods in progress.
xjfever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-25-2010, 06:59 AM   #3
rmack
1999 XJ Cherokee 

check the cap on the burp tank for proper sealing.
rmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-31-2010, 07:06 PM   #4
oldblackxj
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Definately get a new cap for the coolant tank. I have had this problem for years. My solution was to get a coolant tank camp made for a Volvo. It will work!
oldblackxj is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
xj

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.