'88 overheating - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Cherokee & Comanche Forums > XJ Cherokee Technical Forum > '88 overheating

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 08-27-2010, 12:28 AM   #1
HawkeyeM67
1988 XJ Cherokee 

'88 overheating

Hey all, first post. Ever since I bought my XJ (hate to say so but it was probably a mistake) it has had overheating problems. It's an '88 and has 230,000 miles on it and i doubt its ever had a rebuild (it's feels old and tired). I've changed the thermostat but it still runs hot. the temp is usually anywhere between 230 to pegged. Anyway, I'm thinking it just needs a new radiator. I've heard thats a common problem with XJs. Any input?

HawkeyeM67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2010, 12:53 AM   #2
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

is it boiling over at all? is the electric fan working? did you completely flush and properly burp the system after you replaced the thermostat?

My POS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Dillard View Post
Yea, and I thought it was one of the 11 Commandments:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
1990JEEPXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2010, 01:18 AM   #3
HawkeyeM67
1988 XJ Cherokee 

It's never boiled over and the electric fan comes on when the temp gauge gets near the red line. And I don't know about burping but I did change all the water. It kinda has me worried because I lose a bit of water over time. Could be a headgasket, idk.
Unread 08-27-2010, 01:27 AM   #4
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

it could be just air in the system still. when cool let the jeep run with the coolant cap off and the heater on for a bit until the thermostat opens up. then shut off the jeep and repeatedly squeeze the upper rad hose a few times, but it will be hot so use a rag or gloves of some kind.

try searching the forum for ways to burp the closed cooling system

My POS
Quote:
11) Thou shalt love, cherish, and honor till death, thine square headlights above all other earthy things sayith the Lord.
Unread 08-27-2010, 01:37 AM   #5
HawkeyeM67
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Thanks for the info. How much of an impact would air in the system make tempwise?
Unread 08-27-2010, 01:54 AM   #6
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

a pretty big effect. does it heat up fairly quickly?

My POS
Quote:
Unread 08-27-2010, 02:54 PM   #7
HawkeyeM67
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Yea it heats up pretty quick and hovers between 215 and the redline. Then if i get any kind of load on it or its hot outside, above 85ish it redlines. Once it hits the redline the electric fan will come on. The temp keeps going up for awhile then slowly goes back down to the start of the red line. It keeps cycling like that all day.
Unread 08-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #8
foggybottombob
1984 CJ7 

The redline on my '91 is at 260 degrees. What is redline on your '88? The electric fan should come on way before 260 degrees.
foggybottombob is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-27-2010, 07:22 PM   #9
HawkeyeM67
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Pretty sure its about that. It always seemed like the fan came on late to me too. I don't really think thats the big issue though. Pretty sure after lurking on the forum I'm gunna go with the open cooling system. I got the hookups with NAPA so I can get a rad for like 60 bucks.
Unread 08-27-2010, 08:07 PM   #10
1990JEEPXJ
1990 XJ Cherokee 

it might be coming on the the right time, the temp gauge isnt exactly super accurate

My POS
Quote:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.